Japanese Clear Soup Recipe
Japanese Clear Soup Recipe: This classic Hibachi restaurant favorite is a light and healthy soup to soothe the soul.
That Japanese soup…
No, not Miso Soup. The one they serve at Hibachi restaurants before the chef comes out. What’s it called?
I’m sharing this recipe today because I’ve had this exact same conversation multiple times in the last couple of years. First, a friend wants to know what “that soup” is called. Then they ask for a recipe.
On most Hibachi restaurant menus in the United States, this elusive soup is called Clear Soup.
However, it is also known as Miyabi Soup, Japanese Onion Soup, and even Hibachi Soup.
What Is Japanese Clear Soup?
This simple broth-based soup is primarily made of meat broths and vegetables simmered together over a long period of time to create a deep rich flavor.
The vegetables are then removed so the soup is clear, and garnishes like scallions and thinly sliced mushrooms are added to the top.
However, Japanese Clear Soup can vary in color, clarity, and even ingredients.
For instance, if you use all chicken broth your clear soup will have a lighter flavor and clearer appearance. Yet it will lack in-depth compared to versions that contain some beef broth.
Whereas, if you use beef broth, depending on the brand you buy, your clear soup may not seem very light and clear at all.
Some versions even skip the chicken and beef broth altogether and use mushroom broth.
Best Japanese Clear Soup Recipe
We feel the very best homemade Japanese Onion Soup is made with 2 parts chicken broth, 1 part beef broth, and extra water to allow for evaporation.
Although the color is a bit darker than some restaurant clear soups, it can be made in about an hour and has an intense meaty flavor.
It should be mentioned that most restaurants make soups like this several days in advance so the ingredients have a longer time to mix and mingle. That’s why they taste richer than homemade versions.
However, you too can make your soup several days in advance and it will taste just like it does at your favorite Hibachi restaurant.
How to Make Japanese Clear Onion Soup
- Start by searing large chunks of onions, carrots, ginger, and garlic in a stockpot. This helps release their flavors.
- Then add the broth(s) and water. Then simmer the soup for at least one hour.
- Remove the chunks of veggies.
- Then scoop into bowls and top with fresh sliced mushrooms and scallions.
Get the Full (Printable) Japanese Mayabi Clear Soup Recipe Below!
Hibachi Clear Soup is a fun way to bring your favorite restaurant flavors home.
This light lean soup is so robust and flavorful, that you’ll want to make it again and again.
It might even give you the confidence to take on the onion volcano!
More Healthy Asian Soup Recipes
- 5-Ingredient Miso Soup
- Classic Egg Drop Soup
- Chinese Hot Pots
- Spicy Thai Chicken Soup
- Low Carb Vietnamese Beef Pho
Japanese Clear Soup Recipe
- Place a large 8-quart stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and place the onion, garlic, carrots, and ginger in the pot. Sear the veggies on all sides to caramelize, making sure not to burn the garlic.
- Pour in the chicken broth, beef broth, and water. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a low boil and simmer for at least one hour.
- Use a skimmer to remove the vegetables from the broth. Taste, then salt as needed.
- To serve: ladle hot broth into bowls and sprinkle chopped scallion and sliced mushrooms over the top.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: A Spicy Perspective participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when you make a purchase through links on our site.