Homemade baked mac and cheese, Italian-style! This melty oozy baked mac and cheese recipe is loaded with Italian goodies. It’s così delizioso!!
You can never have too many homemade baked mac and cheese recipes.
At least, I don’t think you can.
Mac and cheese is one of those dishes that makes any meal warm and inviting. A creamy mac and cheese makes a backyard picnic memorable and a week night meal an event.
This one dish wonder, Italian-style homemade baked mac and cheese, is a personal favorite. Classic California-made italian cheeses, fresh basil, olives, salami, and pepperoni all nestled together in one glorious gooey pasta.
I used Delallo Organic Whole Wheat Penne, because I love that the cheesy goodness collects in the penne tubes. I also love the hearty texture on whole wheat pasta and feel it holds its ground against all the prominent Italian flavors in this dish.
This is a baked mac and cheese recipe you can serve with an earthy glass of wine and a fresh green salad.
Simple rustic flavors that leave a lasting impression.
Italian Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
- 1 lb. Delallo Organic Whole Wheat Pasta (I used Penne)
- 3 Tb. butter
- 1 Tb. flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups California milk
- 4 oz. California cream cheese
- 6 cups shredded California Italian cheeses (provolone, mozzarella, asiago…)
- 1 cup pitted olives
- 4 oz. salami, cut into thin strips
- 4 oz. pepperoni, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup California shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 Tb. olive oil
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cook the penne in a large pot of salted water, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside in a colander.
- Using the same pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted whisk in the flour and cook the roux (butter-flour mixture) for 1 minute. Then add the garlic and whisk in the milk and 4 oz cream cheese. Bring to a simmer and whisk until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add the shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Pour the cooked pasta, olives, sliced meat and basil. Stir to coat.
- Pour the macaroni into a 10X10 inch baking dish and sprinkle the top with panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil. *For creamy baked mac and cheese, place the baked mac and cheese in the oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watch carefully. You want the top to toast, but not burn. **For more a traditional “firm” baked mac and cheese recipe, bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden.
- Once out of the oven, sprinkle the chopped parsley and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Potato Skins Mac and Cheese
Sweet Corn and Bacon Mac and Cheese – Iowa Girl Eats
Caprese Mac and Cheese – Classy Cooking
Spinach Mac and Cheese – Recipe Girl