Standing Rib Roast
The Ultimate Christmas Dinner: Standing Rib Roast
“Christmas Dinner” means a lot of things to a lot of people.
To us, Christmas dinner is always a meal we don’t have very often throughout the year. Something that takes care in preparation. Something that makes all who partake feel special.
Good beef…. Really good beef.
Best Standing Rib Roast Recipe
My Standing Rib Roast Recipe is a perfect meal for Christmas.
Why do I think it’s the best?
The crispy exterior is bold and salty, with an herb and whole grain mustard crust. While the interior stays pink and juicy with a rich beefy flavor.
It is the perfect elegant centerpiece for a holiday table!
What Is Standing Rib Roast?
Standing Rib Roast is essentially a large cut of bone-in rib eye steak, so the fat is marbled throughout, creating an ultra luxurious taste and texture.
When you buy a standing rib roast at the butcher, sometimes they have already trimmed it for you so the bones stick out the top. If not, you can cook it as-is or trim it yourself. It’s very easy.
If you have a friendly butcher, you can ask him/her to trim it for you as well.
Then rub it down with a zesty concoction made of whole grain mustard, herbs, and bacon grease and roast it in the oven.
Fool-Proof Standing Rib Roast Recipe
The reason I consider this method “fool-proof” is that I leave an oven-safe thermometer in the center of the roast as its cooking. Once it reaches 125 degrees F, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest so the juices redistribute.
Using a leave-in meat thermometer eliminates the chance of over cooking this Standing Rib Roast Recipe.
Perfection every single time! If you use an oven thermometer, you cannot mess this up.
Standing Rib Roast Cooking Tips
It also helps to place the standing rib roast in a hot oven so the exterior starts to form a crust, but then lower the heat so it cooks slowly and evenly for a perfect pink every time.
Our Standing Rib Roast Recipe is juicy, pink, and packed with flavor. Just right for holiday meals.
Herb-Crusted Standing Rib Roast Ingredients
It’s so easy to make thise gorgeous piece of meat with just a handful of ingredients…
- Standing rib roast – Look for one that is 5-6 pounds.
- Whole grain mustard – The super grsiny kind.
- Bacon grease – For flavor, and told the seasoning to the beef.
- Fresh thyme leaves – Or 1 teaspoon dried thyme if you can’t find fresh.
- Garlic cloves – Minced.
- Salt and pepper
How Do You Cook A Standing Rib Roast?
- Prep the Oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and remove the upper rack to make space in the oven. Line a rimmed baking dish with foil or parchment paper and place the standing rib roast on it.
- Trim the Beef, if needed. If your roast is not trimmed, carefully cut the excess fat off the top to expose the rib bones.
- Rub It Down. Stand the roast with the rib point up. Combine the mustard, bacon grease, thyme, garlic, sea salt, and cracked black pepper in a small bowl. Mix well, then rub over the surface of the standing rib roast.
- Roast! Insert an ovensafe meat thermometer into the center of the roast, pushing the tip in until it’s directly in the middle. Place the roast in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Then lower the heat and continue roasting until the interior temperature reaches 125 degrees.
Get the Full (Printable) Standing Rib Roast Recipe Below!
Serve Standing Rib Roast With
- Brussels with Bacon and Beer
- Roasted Squash with Blue Cheese Pear Streusel
- Classic Homemade Caesar Salad
- The Best Yeast Rolls
- Spicy Mesquite Twice Baked Potatoes
- And/or Savory Orzo Stuffing.
- Or take a look at our Slow Cooker Beef Tenderloin for something just a little different!
Best Standing Rib Roast Recipe
- 5-6 pounds standing rib roast
- 2 1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and remove the upper rack to make space in the oven. Line a rimmed baking dish with foil or parchment paper and place the standing rib roast on it. If your roast is not trimmed, carefully cut the excess fat off the top to expose the rib bones. Look for the natural separation between the meat and the fat and cut along the separation. Clean the rib bones with a paring knife.
- Stand the roast with the rib point up. Combine the mustard, bacon grease, thyme, garlic, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper in a small bowl. Mix well, then rub over the surface of the standing rib roast. Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into the center of the roast, pushing the tip in until it's directly in the middle.
- Place the roast in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350 degrees F and continue roasting until the interior temperature reaches 125 degrees F. Remove from the oven and allow the roast to rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!