Serving up “Hotter than Hades” Sloppy Joes for Halloween… or any night of the week. This easy casual meal is a true crowd-pleaser and can be made in minutes!
When we host a party, we follow the mentally of Go Big or Go Home.
There have been years where we had 80+ people in our house on Halloween night. It’s important to me to provide great (meaning delicious and memorable) food for any event, but Halloween can get a little overwhelming, due to the activities going on inside and outside our house.
Therefore I always make cute and creepy Halloween treats several days ahead to set out on Halloween night for a festive dessert buffet. Then I focus on making large quantities of ultra tasty no-fuss dishes to feed the masses.
This year we’ve decided to go with Sloppy Joes.
I love Sloppy Joes for several reasons…
First of all, they remind me of my childhood. Of sitting around the table with friends and family in cool autumn evenings.
Second, I love the zippy flavor. Good Sloppy Joes are sweet and tangy with a kick of spice.
Third, Sloppy Joes are casual and inviting. The kind of food that puts people at ease.
I also appreciate how easy it is to whip up a large batch of Sloppy Joes in no time at all. That makes it the perfect dish to serve on Halloween.
I make sloppy joes in my deepest Swiss Diamond saute pan, because it allows me to incorporate all the wet ingredients without worry of spillage.
Swiss Diamond Nonstick Cookware is so fabulous for this kind of cooking because I can saute my veggies and beef without any additional fat, and the clean up is a dream! Swiss Diamond focuses on producing safe, eco-friendly, and uber nonstick cookware that is really-truly nonstick.
And just look at how the Hotter than Hades Sloppy Joes turned out?
Saucy, ultra tangy from the peppers and vinegar, and kick-you-in-the-face spicy for Halloween.
Actually, these Sloppy Joes don’t have to be hotter than hades. That’s completely up to you.
You can add 1-2 tablespoons of sriracha for average spice or add 4+ tablespoons for fiery spice.
On Halloween night I will most likely make several batches of spicy Sloppy Joes, and several batches for those with sensitive palates… Knowing that both spicy and non-spicy eaters will be abundantly satisfied!
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 – 15 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes in their juices
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (Depending on how sweet you like Sloppy Joes.)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2-4 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 soft rolls, toasted
- Place the butter in a large deep skillet over medium heat. (If using a Swiss Diamond Skillet you don’t need the butter!) Then add the chopped onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes to soften, then push the veggies to the edges of the skillet and add the ground beef in the center.
- Salt the beef and break into small pieces as you stir. Cook until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the next 7 ingredients. Stir the mixture and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10-12 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop the Sloppy Joe mixture onto toasted buns and serve warm. Eat as is, or top with pickles and/or cheese.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Swiss Diamond Cookware. All opinions are my own.