Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes Recipe with Oat Crumble and Pomegranate. Whew! That title might be a mouthful, but so is this recipe. A mouthful of happiness!
Please don’t throw stones at me when I tell you my deep dark secret…
I hate (and I mean LOATH) traditional sweet potato casserole with marshmallow topping.
Whew! There, I said it.
It’s just too darn sweet. Cloyingly sweet. The-sugar-singed-my-tastebuds-off sweet.
After I eat it, I get a headache and can’t taste anything else the rest of the day. I’m not kidding.
So every fall I post a sweet potatoes recipe variation in an effort to sway you over to my side.
The slightly less sweet side.
The a-little-sweetness-is-better-than-a-lot-of-sweetness side.
This year I’m going with Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes Recipe with Oat Crumble and Pomegranate.
Trust me sweet-tooths, it’s sweet! After all, there is pure maple syrup and brown sugar in the mix.
Yet with sweet potatoes, a little goes a long way.
Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes Recipe with Oat Crumble is currently my top go-to sweet potatoes recipe because it incorporates all my favorite fall flavors… cinnamon, maple, oats, pomegranate, and of course sweet potatoes, yet is so easy to make.
You simply slice and bake the sweet potatoes with a little butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Then mix up an oat crumble to sprinkle over the top and bake a few more minutes.
Then crispy oat topping provides brilliant contrast to the soft silky sweet potatoes, and the little sprinkle of fresh pomegranate arils offers tangy pop in each bite!
This combination of sweet and savory, tender and crunchy, earthy and tangy could pull any sweet potato casserole lover over to the less-sweet side.
Also check out Foodie with Family’s Melting Sweet Potatoes!
Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes Recipe with Oat Crumble
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:50 minutes
Maple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes Recipe with Oat Crumble – Easy to make, Crunchy and Sweet, and loaded with rich holiday flavor.
For the Sweet Potatoes Recipe:
- 3 pounds small sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rings
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Oat Topping:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate arils
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes in a 9 X 13 inch baking dish and drizzle with maple syrup. Sprinkle the top with the butter cubes, cinnamon and salt. Then cover tightly with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes, until soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the oat crumble (minus the pomegranate arils) in a bowl. Use a fork to mash the ingredients into a crumb topping in small loose pieces. Once the sweet potatoes are tender, stir them gently, then sprinkle the top with the oat crumble and place back in the oven.
- Bake the sweet potatoes recipe until the top is golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Then sprinkle with fresh pomegranate arils and serve warm.
Yield: 8-10 servings, Serving Size: 10
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 308 Calories
- Total Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Sodium: 191mg
- Carbohydrates: 42.1g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Sugar: 15.6g
- Protein: 3.7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!