Spicy Cheese Straws
Giving an old classic a facelift today. Our Spicy Cheese Straws and easy Jalapeño Avocado Dip are a fabulous holiday snack to serve at all your parties this fall.
Some recipes are eternal.
Cheese Straws are one of those snacks that you hear stories about from generations back. They are one of those foods that people take a bite of and automatically respond nostalgically, “Sigh. I love these things. I remember when my grandma used to…”
It happens every time I serve them.
After all, I watched my mother squeeze them through a cookie press around the holidays every year when I was a little girl.
However, there are two problems with cheese straws as I see it.
1) Most people don’t have a cookie press, even those that cook a lot.
2) Cheese straws are single noted, so after one or two the flavor becomes a little boring.
Well in the effort to spur on holiday cheer (from Halloween through New Years) and happy memories from the past, I’ve tweaked my mom’s classic cheese straw recipe to address both issues.
Today I’m sharing my Spicy Cheese Straws with Jalapeño Avocado Dip, an updated version for new holiday memory-making.
I started the Spicy Cheese Straws, just as I normally would, by beating butter and shredded cheese together with an electric mixer. Then I sprinkled in Old El Paso Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning with the flour to elevate the flavor.
The mix of spices and herbs take these Spicy Cheese Straws to another level of goodness.
Then I decided to chuck the cookie press and roll the Spicy Cheese Straws dough into long ropes.
I twisted two ropes together to create each straw, then baked them until crisp.
Rolling and twisting the Spicy Cheese Straws is a great project for the kids. That way, they’ll not only have memories of tasting cheese straws, but making them with mom or dad as well!
Once the Spicy Cheese Straws come out of the oven, whip up a quick and simple dip to take the flavor and textural appeal a step further.
This easy and fresh Jalapeño Avocado Dip is made by pureeing ripe avocado with Old El Paso Jalapeños, lime juice, and salt. It has a bright and tangy flavor that complements the Spicy Cheese Straws perfectly, bringing out their rich cheesy taste and zesty appeal.
If you’ve always wanted to make cheese straws, but don’t own a cookie press, this recipe is for you!
Spicy Cheese Straws
For the Spicy Cheese Straws:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the shredded cheese and softened butter in the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat on medium until mostly smooth.
- Add the packet of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning to the cheese mixture, then turn the mixer on low and slowly add the flour until incorporated. Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula, then beat again for an even texture.
- Take 1 1/2 teaspoon of dough at a time and roll it out into a rope about 10-12 inches long. Roll a second rope and lay them next to each other on a baking sheet. Gently twist the ends in opposite directions to create a twisted rope. Then cut the rope in half to create two 5- to 6-inch ropes. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the spicy cheese straws for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden, then cool completely on the baking sheets.
- While the spicy cheese straws are baking, scoop the flesh of the avocados into a blender. Add the jalapenos in their juices, lime juice, and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Once cool, dip the spicy cheese straws in the avocado dip and enjoy!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.