Zesty Pan Fried Tilapia Southwest Skillet, a one-pan fish dish you can make any night of the week!
There’s a reason why most families eat chicken more than any other source of protein.
Chicken is comfortable. People like chicken. For some reason chicken seems less daunting to cook than beef, pork, or fish.
Yet, don’t you get tired of eating the same ol’ thing all the time? I do.
Today’s Pan Fried Tilapia Southwest Skillet is a delightful detour from the standard chicken-dominated family menu.
It’s a bold hearty black bean, corn, and mango side dish, topped with crispy pan fried fish. You can make this recipe in one pan for easy clean up. Plus it’s just as easy, if not easier, to prepare than chicken!
I used white flaky tilapia from ALDI as my main source of protein. (PS, I found all the ingredients for this recipe at ALDI.)
ALDI now carries fresh tilapia with incredible flavor and texture. Its nice and firm, without the “fishy” quality we try so hard to avoid. This tilapia tastes mild and clean!
ALDI’s fresh fish is shipped to ALDI stores right away. No need for thawing. And better yet, no need to wonder how long your fish has been sitting in warehouse cold storage.
Best of all, ALDI’s fresh fish is affordable. You can feed your whole family lean high-quality seafood, and save money.
Pan Fried Tilapia Southwest Skillet is a marvelous meal to serve when introducing your family to fish. The crunchy breading and moist flaky texture of the tilapia is hard to resist.
In fact, you could use this same recipe for crispy fish sticks or fish tacos!
However, here I’ve served it with an amalgamation of beans, corn, onions, peppers, fresh mango, cilantro, and lime. You get a little spice from the fish breading, and a whole lot of wow from the hearty side dish. Color, contrast, and tons of vitamins and minerals.
This healthy Pan Fried Tilapia Southwest Skillet is a meal you can feel good about serving your family.
Skip the chicken tonight and give this Pan Fried Tilapia Southwest Skillet a try.
And as long as we’re trying new things… If it’s been a while since you visited ALDI, I suggest stopping by this week. ALDI is renovating 1,300 stores across the country.
The new stores have spacious aisles, are easy to navigate, and have all sorts of fabulous products!
You’ll find all the same great savings and awarding-winning products inside bright easier-to-navigate stores! You can learn more about the ALDI shopping experience here.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by ALDI. All opinions are my own.
Pan Fried Tilapia Southwest Skillet
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:18 minutes
Pan Fried Tilapia Southwest Skillet Recipe – An easy and healthy one-pan dinner you can make any night of the week! Bold and zesty with a built-in side dish
- 4 fresh tilapia fillets
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Stonemill ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Stonemill chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Countryside Creamery butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons SimplyNature organic extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 15.5 ounce can SimplyNature organic black beans, drained
- 12 ounce bag Season’s Choice frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large deep skillet (or sauté pan) over medium heat. Place the breadcrumbs, cumin, chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a shallow dish. Mix by hand, then press the tilapia fillets in the breadcrumbs. Be sure to coat the fish well on all sides. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon butter, and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Lay the breaded tilapia fillets in the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Press the thickest part of the tilapia fillet. If it seems dense and springs back when you press it, it’s done. Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- Use a paper towel and spatula to wipe the black crumbs out of the pan. Add the remaining butter and oil. Once melted, add the onions to the skillet.
- Sauté the onions for 2 minutes, then add in the red bell peppers. Stir and sauté another 2 minutes. Pour in the black beans, corn, and chopped mango. Stir and sauté until the corn is warmed through. Then add the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Place the tilapia over the black bean mixture to keep warm. Then serve!
NOTE: All brands listed can be found at ALDI.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 4
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 474 Calories
- Total Fat: 15.9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Sodium: 735mg
- Carbohydrates: 56.3g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Sugar: 17.1g
- Protein: 31.7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!