Mini Baked Chimichanga Recipe
Cute crunchy Mini Baked Chimichanga Recipe: lighter chimichangas great for entertaining and lunch boxes!
A couple years ago, I flew into Cancun, Mexico on Cinco de Mayo.
The entire flight south I was giddy with anticipation. I wasn’t sure what to expect upon arrival, but I assumed as the 5th of May commemorates an important victory in the Battle of Puebla, margaritas would be flowing freely, mariachi music would be heard in the streets… And maybe a colorful ticker-tape parade of sorts?
However, when I landed it seemed to be just a normal day in paradise.
After asking several employees at the hotel about how they celebrate Cinco de Mayo, it seemed clear we (in the United States) make much more of this holiday than most Mexicans. In fact, one waiter thought it was hilarious that we celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the United States at all.
Leave it to Americans to take every opportunity to throw a party!
Well, that’s something I love about our culture.
We appreciate a good celebration, even if we have to conjure one up.
And if it involves tequila-laced beverages and zesty Mexican food, even better!
Today’s Mini Baked Chimichanga Recipe is a fabulous little tex mex snack that offers the flavor and crunch of deep fried chimichanga, without the unnecessary fat and calories.
Inside each little bundle, you’ll find beans, cheese, and meat, like a classic chimichanga.
However, I’ve rolled them in small tortillas, sprayed them lightly with oil, and baked them so the tortillas turn crunchy, and the insides melt together.
While the chimichangas are in the oven, blend ripe avocados with salsa verde to make a creamy sauce to dunk your chimichangas.
Or spoon it over the top and garnish with pico de gillo and sour cream!
This Mini Baked Chimichanga Recipe is quick to pull together and packs one heck of a punch in the flavor department.
It’s a marvelous snack to serve on Cinco de Mayo, or any other day you want to turn into a celebration!
Mini Baked Chimichanga Recipe
- 10 small wheat tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa verde divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup melted butter or nonstick cooking spray
- Possible Toppings: sour cream, pico de gillo, shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, sour cream, 1/4 cup salsa verde, and green onions in a bowl. Lay the tortillas out and spread 2 tablespoons of refried beans across each tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture.
- To roll: fold one side of the tortilla over the fillings and pull back to make the filling tightly packed. Fold the short ends inward and roll to secure the short ends. Fold the short ends in again, if needed and roll to the end. Place the chimichangas on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the chimichangas completely with melted butter, or thoroughly coat with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, place 3/4 cup of salsa verde in the blender with the flesh of one ripe avocado. Puree until smooth.
- To serve: Serve the chimichangas fresh out of the oven with a side of the creamy avocado salsa verde, or top each chimichanga with salsa verde and any other topping you like!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!