Grapefruit Cream Pie, a vibrant play on Lemon Cream Pie with a tantalizing bitter-sweet ruby red bite!
Pearly pink pie… Is this girly-girl heaven or what?!
All I need now is a saddled unicorn and a bowl full of glitter.
All jokes aside, this Grapefruit Cream Pie is a thing of beauty and should not be taken lightly.
It’s bold, citrusy, and piled high with silky whipped cream.
This time of year, I use every possible excuse to whip up cream pies…. A picnic. A neighborhood watch meeting. A goldfish funeral.
Pie is always a welcomed surprise and/or stealthy distraction.
Grapefruit Cream Pie is my current muse. An alluring cousin of beloved Lemon Cream Pie, yet with a unique bitter-sweet flavor and blushing hue.
Think of it as the slightly more glitzy cousin with sparkly lip gloss and 4 inch heels.
Unlike my other fluffy cream pies with a cream cheese pudding base, this Grapefruit Cream Pie is more similar to a chess pie. A baked custard pie with a bit of grain for structural support.
This allows the distinct grapefruit flavor to shine, and not be overshadowed by any other ingredient.
The filling is made with eggs, flour, fresh ruby red grapefruit juice, evaporated milk, and Wholesome!® Organic Blue Agave for sweetness.
The evaporated milk is important because it doesn’t curdle with the grapefruit juice like regular milk could. The eggs give the pie its silky texture. The fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice offers perky appeal.
Yet the Wholesome!® Organic Blue Agave allows the pie to be sweetened without gmos, unnecessary chemicals, and preservatives.
Agave makes a marvelous baking ingredient because it blends effortlessly into batter without sugar crystals settling at the bottom.
Since its sweetness is concentrated, you can use less agave than sugar, making it a marvelous low glycemic and lower calorie sweetener!
Bake the Grapefruit Cream Pie until the outside it set, but the inside is still a little jiggly, then chill so the interior can cool and set.
Top with an ample amount of whipped cream and serve!
Why not serve Pink Grapefruit Cream Pie for Mother’s Day this year. Your mom will love the color, and all your guests will be thrilled at its vibrant fruity flavor.
Check Out Our Other Fluffy Cream Pies
Grapefruit Cream Pie
Dreamy Pink Grapefruit Cream Pie Recipe – A vibrant cream pie recipe with the fresh tangy-sweet appeal of ruby red grapefruit.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degreed F. Roll the pie crust dough out into a large 11 inch circle, then lower it into a standard 9 inch deep dish pie pan. Crimp the edges of the pie crust, then line it with a piece of parchment paper. Place pie weights (or dried beans) in the parchment to fill out the pie crust and hold it in place. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the parchment holding the pie weights and set the crust aside.
- Meanwhile measure the flour into a large bowl. Slowly pour in the grapefruit juice, whisking to blend with the flour so no clumps form. Then whisk in 2/3 cup Wholesome!® Organic Blue Agave, eggs, evaporated milk, and a pinch of salt. Add 1-2 drops of red food coloring to enhance the color. Whisk well to incorporate and avoid red dots in the pie.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the partially baked pie crust. Gently tap the pie on the counter to bring the bubbles to the surface. Then carefully place the pie in the oven, being careful not to slosh the filling.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the outside edges of the filling are set, but the interior is still just a little jiggly. If you notice the crust is starting to turn dark, lay a flat sheet of foil over the whole pie and continue baking. Cool the pie completely before proceeding, either on the counter top or in the refrigerator.
- Once totally cool, whip cold heavy cream in the mixer with 3 tablespoons agave. Whip on high until firm peaks form, then scoop the whipped cream onto the top of the pie. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh grapefruit slices right before serving if desired. Can be made 3 days ahead.
Yield: , Serving Size: 8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 463 Calories
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 139mg
- Sodium: 191mg
- Carbohydrates: 64.6g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sugar: 50.7g
- Protein: 6.3g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Wholesome!®. All sweet-loving opinions are my own.