Low Carb Chicken Chorizo “No Potato” Hash
Healthy Chicken Chorizo “No Potato” Hash, comfort food for low carb diets!
I am not a dietitian, nutritionist, doctor, or personal trainer.
Yet as a former gym-rat and person who pays close attention to health trends, if there is a health book on the New York Times Best Seller’s list, I read it. I may not follow all it’s principles, but at least I want to be in the know.
In younger years, Lt. Dan and I were the couple that used to come home from work, make dinner, lounge a bit, and head to the gym for a few hours every evening. That was, of course, before kids.
Nowadays we have a gym set up in our spare room so that I can cook as I please, then go “run it off” while my precious ones are sleeping or at school.
It’s hard to balance healthy habits like eating clean and working out in our busy world.
Not only do I love to eat, I hate feeling that every choice I make has to be so rigid to stay healthy and trim.
Honestly, sometimes I just give up for a while… Especially over the holidays.
Yet when it’s time to get back on track I:
- Make sure to get five 30-60 minute workouts in a week (mixing cardio and weight training)
- Drink only water and unsweetened tea
- Reduce the use of packaged foods
- And keep carbs on the down-low
I try not to worry about portion size too much, especially if I’m working out a lot. Lots of sweat and an empty grumbling tummy make me cranky!
I’ve also found adding a little comfort to low carb dishes makes the clean living easier to maintain.
This simple Low Carb Chicken Chorizo “No Potato” Hash recipe is a nod to southern hash-style dishes… Without the potatoes.
I’ve substituted fresh zucchini for the potatoes, and added a bit of fatty goodness to the hash to compensate for the lack of carbs.
Adding chorizo to the hash offers a bold zesty flavor, and cozy feel, to an otherwise extremely lean dish.
Low Carb Chicken Chorizo “No Potato” Hash is one of my favorite quick go-to dinners this season. You can even use up your leftovers while making it!
Chicken Chorizo “No Potato” Hash
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Brown the chorizo for 2-3 minutes, then add the chicken until warmed through. Remove the chorizo and chicken, and set aside.
- Add the onions to the skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, red pepper, and a tablespoon of oil if needed. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until just cooked, but not mushy. Salt and pepper to taste. Then add the protein back in.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. Serve immediately.