Make Your Lunchbox POP! This Year: Back to School with Borden® Cheese. These Cheesy Lunchbox Poppers make a marvelous back to school treat!
School is back in session… Are you quietly breathing a sigh of relief?!
It’s ok if you are. Every year when the kids head back to school I experience such bitter-sweet emotions.
On one hand, our days of sleeping in and sunny adventures are over. On the other hand, I can actually keep a schedule, get some work done, and maintain a clean house.
Whether you are feeling high or low about back-to-school, lunchbox packing is most certainly on the mind of every parent.
My kids are old enough to pack their own lunches in the morning, however, they get tired of the same old thing. As much as we all love PB&J and ham sandwiches, it’s nice to mix things up throughout the week.
Sometimes they even take leftovers from dinner, just to skip the eternal sandwich making.
I recently discovered I can take the meat-and-cheese concept of a classic sandwich and bake them into little lunch pastries.
Today’s recipe is called Cheesy Lunchbox Poppers because I’ve combined salami, creamy Borden® Cheese, spicy mustard, and puff pastry to make tiny sandwich bombs.
They are an easy make-ahead for the week, the kids love them, and best of all they feel like something truly special in a lunchbox.
I simply cut a sheet of puff pasty into 16 squares, added a little dab of mustard, a thin slice of salami, and several small pieces of Borden® Cheese Mozzarella Slices on top.
Then I folded all four corners of the pastry over the center and brushed them with a little cream, and a sprinkle of herbs.
As the Cheesy Lunchbox Poppers bake, the cheese puffs up the corners of the pastry creating little bubbly hand-held delights.
You can pack one in a lunch for a small child, or up to four in a lunchbox for a teenager.
The golden baked Borden® Cheese Mozzarella Slices over the top makes these little pastries so much more than a sandwich!
Borden® Cheese offers all sorts of varieties that are perfect for back to school. For quick morning packing, add Borden® Cheese String Cheese, or all-new Snack Bars, available in delicious flavors like Pepper Jack, Mozzarella, Cheddar, or Colby Jack, to your child’s bag.
Or use Borden® Cheese Slices, Singles and Chunks to create all sorts of fun lunchtime variations!
Including Borden® Cheese in your child’s lunchbox ensures your baby gets nutritious protein and calcium throughout the day.
Made with milk from over 8,000 family-owned farms, Borden® Cheese is pure, creamy goodness that transforms lunchtime into something memorable. With Borden® Cheese, love is always an ingredient!
Speaking of adding love to your kiddos’ lunch… Make sure to enter our Borden® Cheese Lunch Love Kit Giveaway on Instagram this week.
TO ENTER ON INSTAGRAM:
- Follow @spicyperspectiv and @borden_cheese on Instagram.
- Tag 2 friends in the comments below this post.
- Share a photo of how you fuel your family with cheese and include the hashtags #BordenLunchLove and #Giveaway. This could be an image of a cheesy dish you love, a back-to-school lunchbox idea, or your babies snacking on delicious cheese!
Random winners will be selected to receive a fun Borden® Cheese lunchbox kit.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Borden® Cheese. All opinions are my own.
Cheesy Lunchbox Poppers
Yield: 16 poppers
Prep Time:12 minutes
Cook Time:18 minutes
Cheesy Lunchbox Poppers Recipe – This easy 6-ingredient snack is great for party appetizers and quick lunchbox fillers, instead of plane-jane sandwiches.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 4 teaspoons spicy whole grain mustard
- 16 thin slices hard salami, 1.5 – 2 inches across (or pepperoni)
- 6 slices Borden® Cheese Mozzarella Slices
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the square sheet of puff pastry into 16 smaller squares. Cut the mozzarella cheese slices into 9 squares each.
- Place a scant 1/4 teaspoon of mustard in the center of each puff pastry square. Press one slice of salami over the mustard, then top with 3 squares of Borden Mozzarella Cheese.
- Fold two opposite corners of each square, over the cheese. Then fold the remaining corners over the top, and press down. Brush the top of each folded square with cream and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the pastries pop up and turn golden brown. Serve immediately, or cool and wrap for later use.
NOTE: Keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Yield: 16 poppers, Serving Size: 16
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 132 Calories
- Total Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Sodium: 277mg
- Carbohydrates: 8.4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.3g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!