Crisp Zesty Baked Onion Rings Recipe, a fabulous side dish and party snack!
There are days only onions rings will do… Tender silky-sweet onions surrounded by crispy deep-fried breading. Swoon!
Usually this happens when I’m 3 days into a strict diet, and can’t even look at fried foods without caving in.
Fortunately for me, I’ve figured out a way to put the smack down on my cravings. It’s a low fat version of onion rings, made with sweet onions, nonfat buttermilk, egg whites, a simple crusty breading. Baked instead of fried.
Believe it or not, you can make crispy delicious onion rings in the oven. In fact, my Zesty Baked Onion Rings Recipe is so authentic tasting, your family might even think you pulled out the fry daddy.
To make awesome baked onions rings, I need to share a few secrets with you.
1) Be patient. Once cut, the onions need to soak in a nice long buttermilk bath to tenderize. This is extremely important. If you skimp on the soak time the onions will be rubbery in texture. (This is true when you fry them as well.)
2) After soaking the onions in buttermilk, they need to be dunked into frothy egg whites. The egg whites glue the breading to the onion, while keeping a light crispy texture. Buttermilk alone will result in a soggy crust.
3) Use a mix of textural ingredients to create an ultra crispy crust. I used a blend of panko bread crumbs, cornmeal, and whole wheat flour to add a bit of substance to the breading.
4) The breading needs a boost of flavor. I like to add Old El Paso Taco Seasoning to my breading mixture to give it a little wow-factor. The taco seasoning adds a spicy intrigue that really takes the Zesty Baked Onion Rings Recipe to the next level. That way, they taste fabulous whether you decide to dunk them in ketchup or not.
5) Once the Zesty Baked Onion Rings Recipe is spread out on baking sheets, give them a little coating of nonstick cooking spray to help the breading crust up in the oven.
Follow these guidelines, and you will be amazed by the outrageous taste and texture of these healthy onion rings.
This Zesty Baked Onion Rings Recipe is an absolute must-make to fight fried food cravings. They give you the crunch you desire, without the added fat and calories!
PAGE: 1 2