Mexican Breakfast Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crunchy Mexican Breakfast Salad loaded with cool veggies, spicy chorizo, fresh cooked eggs, and cheese! This is a great way to get your veggies first thing in the morning.
There’s a trend taking place in our country. One that you will only witness if you eat out for breakfast… Breakfast salads.
That’s right, salad meant to be eaten in the morning hours.
If you’ve never had a salad for breakfast, it’s about time. Breakfast salads are all the rage right now in hip diners across America.
In fact, most of my favorite breakfast spots offer a breakfast salad of some sort.
I’ve made breakfast salads at home quite a few times. My kids love this version with cinnamon toast croutons and maple syrup dressing. However I prefer a slightly more savory breakfast salad. One with salsa and spicy chorizo!
This Mexican Breakfast Salad offers all the flavor and appeal of classic huevos rancheros, yet with a lot more veggies.
I started by making crunchy tortilla wedges with Old El Paso Flour Tortillas brushed with a touch of butter and seasoned with ground cumin and garlic salt.
Placed in the oven, the tortilla wedges turn into golden crispy chips that offer a heck of a lot of appeal to the salad, without going overboard on the carbs.
Then I loaded a bed of fresh chopped lettuce with tomatoes, black beans, avocado slices, cooked chorizo, and queso fresco.
At this point you can add warm eggs on top, cooked any way you like. Runny sunny-side up eggs are a great choice…
Then add in some of the crunchy tortilla wedges, and top with Old El Paso Fresh Salsa found in the produce department of the grocery store!
If you don’t like sunny-side up eggs, go with scrambled eggs instead.
Either way, this Mexican Breakfast Salad is so ridiculously delicious!
Full of contrasting flavors, tons of texture, and piles of healthy raw veggies. You’ll get your vegetable quota taken care of first thing in the morning, so you can go about your day with a skip in your step.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All Mexican-loving opinions are my own.
Mexican Breakfast Salad
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce, chopped
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage
- 12 large eggs
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 15 ounces black beans (1 can), drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 cup Old El Paso Fresh Salsa
- 4 Old El Paso Flour Tortillas
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Ground cumin
- Garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Cut each tortilla into 6 equal wedges. Lay them flat on the baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Then lightly sprinkle the tortilla wedges with cumin and garlic salt. Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat. Break into small pieces with a wooden spoon and remove from heat once slightly brown.
- Pile the chopped lettuce in a large serving bowl. Top with tomatoes, beans, sliced avocado, cooked chorizo and queso fresco.
- Cook the eggs to order. For sunny-side up, place a large skillet over medium heat. Brush the skillet with oil and crack 2-4 eggs directly over the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the whites are cooked through, then remove and repeat. For scrambled eggs, whisk the eggs until very frothy, then pour into a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Move around the pan to ensure they don't turn brown on the bottom. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat once the eggs are mostly firm. Place the eggs on top of the salad.
- Serve with crispy tortilla wedges and use Old El Paso Fresh Salsa as the dressing.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: 8 Healthy, Savory Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love | Clean Plates
Pingback: Baked Eggs for Breakfast Mexican Style | Cooking On The Ranch
Pingback: 15 Spicy Breakfast Recipes - thehealthyjalapeno.com
Pingback: 10 Breakfast Salads Worth Waking Up For – mindbodygreeen.org
I LOVE salads with fried eggs!! I’m liking every recipe I’m finding on your blog!!
Haven’t had a breakfast salad just yet. Not sure I like the idea but if you have salad for breakfast think about all of those veggies you are getting first thing. Seems like a great way to start the day.
I’m all about this new trend! Love the eggs on top!
What a great idea SOmmer- looks delicious!
Such a good idea! Breakfast salad – yasssssss!
My family would love this any time of day!
Everything looks so delicious!! Gonna try all of them❤️
This looks right up Josh’s alley for breakfast!