Dazzling Light And Creamy Asparagus Soup, a perfect soup for spring!
Asparagus has such a unique flavor and appearance. These spiky green shoots are gladly welcomed in spring, when we’re anxious for farm fresh produce.
Did you know it’s part of the lily family? And that they can grow up to a foot in a single day if cared for properly? Just a little asparagus trivia for your reading pleasure.
Asparagus are lovely roasted, grilled, steamed and sauteed, but what l really crave is Light And Creamy Asparagus Soup!
Not “Cream Of”, mind you. This creamy soup is completely guilt free!
I offer you another recipe low in fat and carbs, intended to delight your taste buds and your waistline.
The secret is in the beans. *smile*
To make this Light And Creamy Asparagus Soup, I pureed white beans into a simmering pot of asparagus as a thickener. Not only do beans add extra protein, but they provide a lovely smooth texture.
Right at the end, a dollop of Greek yogurt blended in, gives the sense of creamy indulgence without the fat and calories. It’s a beautiful thing!
The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion
Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup Recipe – A fresh and healthy soup recipe for spring. Asparagus with white bean puree to make a healthy creamy base.
- 2 tablespoons Macadamia Nut Oil (or butter)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 pounds asparagus (2 bunches)
- 6 cups chicken stocks
- 14 ounces can white beans, drained
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-3 pinches of cayenne
- 1 lemon
- 3-4 slices of bacon, chopped
- In a large pot, warm the oil/butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Cut the tops off and reserve for garnish. Cut the rough ends off the bottom.
- Chop the rest of the asparagus into short segments and add to the pot. Sauté for another 3-5 minutes–until the asparagus in bright in color and tender. Add the beans, stock and cayenne to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add the yogurt and puree again. Salt and pepper to taste, and add a squeeze of lemon.
- Place a small skillet over medium heat. Brown the bacon; then add the asparagus tops to the bacon. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Drain and garnish the soup with the bacon and asparagus.
Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size: 6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 197 Calories
- Total Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Sodium: 1125mg
- Carbohydrates: 19.5g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Protein: 12.6g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Magic 4-Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies (Low-Carb!) Next Post
Bruschetta Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner