Tex Mex Popcorn
Zesty Tex Mex Popcorn with cool and spicy appeal!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes diced (dried vacuum sealed, not in oil)
- 3/4 cup cooked chorizo crumbled
- 3/4 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1 avocado (firm but ripe) diced
Place the oil and popcorn kernels in a large heavy bottomed stock pot. Cover, leaving the lid slightly offset to vent, and turn on medium heat. Listen to the popcorn. Once the popping stops, remove from the heat immediately and pour into a large bowl, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile prepare all other toppings.
Mix the salt and spices together in a small bowl. Shake the larger bowl of popcorn while pouring the melted butter and spice blend over the top. Shake until thoroughly coated, then toss in the sun dried tomatoes.
Scoop the popcorn into smaller serving bowls and top each bowl with crumbled chorizo, queso fresco, and diced avocado. Serve immediately!