Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, using whole grain pasta, scores winning points on the home front!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 13 ounces whole grain pasta such as shells, penne or rotini (1 box)
- 1 pound cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small bell peppers (red and yellow) seeded and diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped and divided
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup refrigerated blue cheese dressing
- 3/4 cup “buffalo wing” cayenne pepper sauce
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided (cheddar, mozzarella or a blend)
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Boil the pasta in salted water according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Add the cooked chicken, chopped bell peppers, 3/4 of the green onions, and 2 1/4 cups of shredded cheese to the baking dish. Mix well.
Place the garlic, cream cheese, blue cheese dressing and 1/2 cup hot wing sauce in a food processor. Puree until smooth, taste and add another 1/4 cup hot wing sauce if needed. Pour over the pasta and toss.
Mix the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and the panko together. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta, then sprinkle with the remaining green onions.
Bake until golden and bubbly, approximately 30-40 minutes.
NOTES: If buying pre-shredded cheese, make sure to select one without fillers, that melts well. You can reduce the fat and calories by using low fat cream cheese, shredded cheese, and blue cheese dressing.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 505kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 707mg | Potassium: 303mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1665IU | Vitamin C: 39.2mg | Calcium: 304mg | Iron: 2.8mg