Whole Wheat BLT Tacos
Easy to make, easy to love Whole Wheat BLT Tacos for Back to School!
Every year there’s a bit of a struggle as we try to get in the rhythm of packing school lunches in the mornings.
The kids want to come up with crazy out-of-the-norm lunchbox options to mix things up, and I’m just trying to stay stocked up on healthy items we can throw together in 10 minutes or less.
We’ve done the bento boxes with rice, cut veggies, and homemade sushi rolls. We’ve done wraps. We’ve done every kind of sandwich imaginable.
Our latest quick-prep lunch item are tacos.
Not traditional tacos that might be soggy and cold after sitting in a lunchbox for several hours, but intentionally cold tacos with a multitude of possibilities.
One of the kids’ favorites is Whole Wheat BLT Tacos… Actually they are BALT Tacos, or even BAALT Tacos, because we like to add a couple extra ingredients just for kicks.
So what’s in a classic BLT
Bacon. Lettuce. Tomato, of course.
However our Whole Wheat BLT Tacos are made with Old El Paso Whole Wheat Soft Tortilla Taco Boats for easy loading and handling.
Old El Paso has made it a priority to eliminate unnecessary ingredients from their tortillas, so you get the same fabulous flavor and texture that you expect, without ingredients you can’t pronounce.
We loaded the whole wheat taco boats with lettuce, cooked bacon, and tomatoes. Then we slipped in some fresh avocado and apple slices for contrasting textures and sweetness.
The combination of crunchy, creamy, salty and sweet is a delight to the tastebuds!
Finally, we made a quick low-fat honey mustard mayo to drizzle over the top.
These quick and simple Whole Wheat BLT Tacos, with the add-ins, are a huge hit in our house.
If I make the sauce, and bake a large pan of bacon in the oven and refrigerate the strips, the kids can prep the tacos themselves in the morning several times a week.
My kids would tell you Whole Wheat BLT Tacos are a happy diversion from PB&J or ham sandwiches.
They’d also tell you they definitely beat the prep work on time-consuming bento boxes!
Whole Wheat BLT Tacos
- 1 package Old El Paso Whole Wheat Soft Tortilla Taco Boats (8 count)
- 16 slices cooked bacon or turkey bacon
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 large Fuji apple, sliced thin
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced thin
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and honey until well combined. Set aside. Chop all produce.
- Lay the Old El Paso Whole Wheat Soft Tortilla Taco Boats out on a platter. Evenly divide the lettuce between the tortillas.
- Add 1-2 slices of cooked bacon to each taco boat. Then layer in sliced apple, avocado, and tomatoes. Drizzle the honey-mustard mayo over the taco and enjoy!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: The post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.