Plum Ginger Whiskey Sour
We’ve got a fabulous whiskey sour recipe today, the Plum Ginger Whiskey Sour. This light frothy sensation is bursting with fall flavors… Just the kind of cocktail to sip with friends on an autumn evening.
Why We Love This Whiskey Sour Recipe
This Plum Ginger Whiskey Sour Cocktail is a variation on a classic whiskey sour recipe. Whiskey sours are generally made with whiskey, simple syrup, and lemon juice, then topped off with a maraschino cherry and an orange slice!
However, rich plum syrup and fresh ginger juice make it a perfect cocktail for transitioning into fall. This take on a whiskey sour has all of the flavors you love with added flavor from the plum and ginger!
The egg white in this plum ginger whiskey sour adds a fluffy texture that adds to the cocktail experience!
Egg whites are traditionally used in a whiskey sour to provide a rich silky frothy texture. Don’t be afraid of the egg whites in cocktails, bartenders use them all the time. As long as the shell is washed before cracking, the risk of salmonella is almost nil.
Ingredients You Need
This whiskey sour with a twist can be made with just a few ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bourbon – use your favorite brand of bourbon whiskey here
- Plum Syrup – homemade or store-bought!
- Lemon Juice – fresh citrus juice is best!
- Ginger Juice – sometimes sold at the store, or use fresh ginger by grating it and straining out the juices!
- Egg White – for the frothy topping
- Fresh Plum – for garnish
- Candied Ginger – for garnish
How to Make A Plum Ginger Whiskey Sour
Shake all ingredients together in a cocktail shaker without ice, in order to emulsify the egg white. This is called a “dry shake” to shake the cocktail with the egg white without the ice.
Add ice to the shaking tin and shake again to chill the drink. Strain with a Hawthorne strainer over a large ice cube in a rocks glass. The egg white will be foamy and float at the top.
Garnish with candied ginger and a slice of plum! Repeat for more drinks if needed.
Tips & Tricks
- Replace the plum syrup for a simple syrup for ease and a touch of sweetness in this whiskey sour recipe. Or, try it with maple syrup or honey instead!
- For a classic whiskey sour recipe, simply omit the plum syrup and ginger juice, and replace the plum syrup for simple syrup!
- Bourbon can be replaced with rye whiskey if you prefer!
- Serve your plum ginger whiskey sours in rocks glasses or try them in a coupe glass!
- Whiskey sours with egg white are best made individually, not in a big batch all at once!
Frequently Asked Questions
Whiskey sours became popular thanks to sailors! They would take large amounts of citrus like lemons, limes, and oranges out to sea to prevent scurvy. They would mix the citrus juice with the whiskey and found it was a wonderful combination! And they were definitely right!
Definitely! Combine equal parts water and sugar in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in diced fresh plums. 2-3 plums should do the trick. Let the mixture come to a simmer and smash the plums with a wooden spoon as it starts to cook. Once the sugar is melted and plums have become very soft, you can strain the mixture into a glass jar. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and use to make these plum ginger whiskey sour cocktails. You can also drizzle plum syrup over pancakes and waffles or on top of overnight oats for a sweet and fruity twist!
You can also make ginger juice at home in small quantities. For this whiskey sour recipe, you only need 1/4 ounce of ginger juice per drink. To make the ginger juice, use fresh ginger and grate it over a strainer that is in a bowl. Then simply press the ginger with a rubber spatula to release the juice into the bowl. You can also buy ginger juice at the store!
Looking for More Classic Cocktail Recipe to Try? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Rosemary Old Fashioned
- Frozen Strawberry Margarita
- Drunken Money Rum Cocktails
- Best Gin & Tonic
- French 75 Cocktail
Whiskey Sour Recipe
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon I like to use a slightly overproof bourbon in this
- 3/4 ounce plum syrup
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce fresh ginger juice
- 1 egg white
- Fresh plum sliced
- Candied ginger
- Shake all ingredients together without ice, in order to emulsify the egg white.
- Add ice to the shaking tin and shake again to chill the drink. Strain over a large ice cube in a rocks glass. Garnish with candied ginger and plum.