This zesty vegetable lasagna is a white lasagna variation filled with fresh summer veggies and loads of cheese! It’s so easy to make and oh so delizioso!
It just dawned on me that we’ve being celebrating Estate d’Italia (Summer of Italy) for over two weeks now without a single pasta dish.
Well I plan to correct that today with a doozy of a pasta recipe, Vegetable Lasagna!
This white lasagna variation (meaning no red sauce) is filled to the brim with garden-fresh veggies, cheese, cheese, and more cheese.
It is a classic Italian comfort dish with the ability to get anyone to eat their veggies.
I started this vegetable lasagna with DeLallo No-Boil Lasagna Noodles, then layered arugula, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and seared zucchini over the pasta, with dollops of herby ricotta, shredded mozzarella, and nutty parmesan cheese in between.
Once baked, the lasagna noodles come out perfectly al dente, and the veggies and cheese mingle together in such a beautiful way, there’s no need for meat or sauce.
In fact, there’s no need for anything else, unless you simply can’t serve dinner without a raw vegetable salad.
Some people can’t…
You can substitute any vegetable you like as a layer in this lasagna recipe. If you’ve got bushels of yellow squash or spinach coming out of your garden (or CSA box) throw them in!
Vegetable lasagna is one of those dishes that is very forgiving of substitutions.
And I’m pretty sure anyone you’ve wronged in the last week, will be very forgiving as well, if you cut them a nice thick piece of your freshly-baked white lasagna recipe.
Make sure to follow along on our Instagram Feed to see what we’re doing in Italy this week.
Addio mia cara!
- 9 ounces DeLallo No-Boil Lasagna Noodles
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ounces arugula
- 2 zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the sherry and cook until all the liquid has absorbed.
- Meanwhile mix the ricotta cheese with the dried thyme, oregano, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Then once the mushrooms are cooked, scoop them out of the skillet and add the zucchini slices to sear quickly, about one minute per side.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles in the bottom of the baking dish, followed by the arugula, one-third of the ricotta, and one third of the mozzarella. Then add another layer of 4 lasagna noodles and top with the mushroom mixture. Cover with one-third of the ricotta and one-third of the mozzarella. Add a final layer of 4 lasagna noodles and top with the seared zucchini slices. Then cover with the remaining ricotta, mozzarella, and the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover and move to the top rack. Bake another 5-10 minutes until the cheese on top starts to get a little crispy. Allow the vegetable lasagna to rest at least 15 minutes, then cut and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!