Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Monster Cookie Recipe)
What is a Monster Cookie?
Alright cookie monsters, today I’m sharing the cookies that were made just for you… Monster Cookies.
Monster cookies are a mash-up of the three most traditional all-American cookies: Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Cookies, and Peanut Butter Cookies, with M&Ms mixed in for even more fun!
We have made many versions of this recipe over the years and feel our Best Monster Cookies Recipe takes the cake in texture and the perfect balance of flavors!
Gluten Free Monster Cookies
Since there is only a little flour in Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Monster Cookies (in my opinion) are the best cookies to convert to Gluten Free.
They taste and feel exactly the same with gluten-free baking powder.
If you are very sensitive to gluten, it should be noted that it’s best to check all the ingredients for hidden gluten, or to make sure they were not processed in a facility with wheat products… Chocolate chips, oats, etc. (Classic M&Ms are gluten-free!)
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- Rolled Oats – you can choose gluten free
- Large Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsalted Butter – softened
- Peanut Butter – crunchy or creamy will work
- Granulated Sugar
- Light Brown Sugar – well packed
- All-Purpose Flour – or gluten-free baking flour
- Baking Powder
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
How Do You Make Monster Cookies?
- To make The Best Monster Cookies Recipe, start by mixing the oats with eggs, vanilla, and a little water. This helps moisten the oats before they are mixed into the dough.
- Cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together until light and fluffy. This usually takes a few minutes, but makes a big difference in overall texture.
- Mix in the dry ingredients. Then add the softened oat to the mixture as well.
- Then finally mix in the chocolate chips and M&Ms.
- Use a big scoop to portion out the cookies so they are monster-size.
- Bake until the cookies are just golden around the edges.
Get the Full (Printable)Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is There Flour in These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Yes and no. The original monster cookie recipe did not contain wheat flour, because the creator did not have any on hand.
However, as the recipe has morphed over the years, bakers have found a little flour makes a big difference in the recipe. It offers a softer fluffier texture than oats alone. In our recipe, you can use all-purpose flour or gluten-free baking flour.
How Do You Make This Recipe Gluten Free?
As mentioned above, all you have to do is swap wheat flour for gluten-free flour!
Can I Make A Dairy Free (or Vegan) Version?
It’s very easy to swap the butter for vegan (plant-based) butter in this recipe. However, to be fully dairy-free and vegan, you will also have to use vegan chocolate chips and chocolate candies.
How Long Do These Last?
Well, that depends on how many cookie monsters you have in your house. They last one day in my house! However, you can keep them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 10 days.
Can You Freeze This Recipe?
Yes. It’s best to freeze the dough rolled into a log shape, before baking. Later you can either thaw the dough and bake the cookies, or break off pieces of the frozen dough and bake the cookies a few minutes longer than normal.
Why Is This Recipe Called Monster Cookies?
Some say Monster Cookies get their name from this intentional mash-up concept of pulling parts from different recipes to make a Frankenstein-like cookie. However, the original creator stated his Monster Cookies refer to a cookie recipe that continually changed over time. No matter why they are called, Monsters Cookies are soft chewy treats that have all the flavors we love and an unbelievable texture.
How Do I Make My Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Pretty?
I like to reserve some of the M&Ms to pretty-up my cookies before they go in the oven. Pay attention to what you see on top of each dough ball. Then add extra M&Ms where needed.
More Amazing Cookie Recipes
- Caramel Shortbread Recipe
- Best EVER Sugar Cookies
- Brown Butter Brown Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- Freedom Cookies (For Food Allergies)
- Cornmeal Cookies
- Sour Patch Kids Cookies by Pillsbury
- Check Out ALL Our Cookies Recipes!
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Monster Cookies Recipe)
- 5 ½ cups rolled oats (gluten free)
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 ¾ cups peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (or GF baking flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounce M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, measure out the oats. Then crack the eggs into the oats and add the water and vanilla. Stir to coat, allowing the liquid to saturate the oats.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add the butter. Beat 1 minute to soften. Then add in the peanut butter, and both sugars. Beat on high for 3-5 minutes to break down the sugar crystals.
- Scrape the bowl with a spatula, and beat again to incorporate.
- Turn the mixer on low and mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Once fully mixed in, start adding in the oat mixture.
- Scrape the bowl again, then turn on low and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Finally mix the M&Ms into the dough with the spatula.
- Use a large 3 tablespoon cookie scoop to portion the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Space the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minute per batch, until the edges are just barely golden brown. Cool 3 minutes on the baking sheets before moving.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!