The Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade
The Best Grilled Vegetable Marinade – This easy marinated grilled vegetables recipe is simply the best for grilling your favorite veggies as a healthy, hearty, and flavorful summer side dish.
The days are hot, the charcoal grill or gas grill is on, and summer is officially in full swing.
Our family tends to spend a lot less time in the kitchen and more time outside these days. It is always so nice getting to take advantage of the warmer weather, and many of our favorite meals can be made on the grill while we enjoy the great outdoors.
Nearly all season long and most nights of the week we can be found in the backyard grilling up relaxing, easy classics like juicy hamburgers and loaded hot dogs.
We also love to grill crisp summer veggies for adding wonderfully fresh, crunchy, and healthy sides to our meals.
The Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade
Include fresh summer vegetables in your family’s rotation of easy weeknight dinners with our recipe for the Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade.
This is a great side dish for using that bounty of summer produce from your garden or farmers’ market. You can grill just about any hearty seasonal vegetables you’ve got available!
You won’t believe how simple it is to whip up a zesty, tangy, bright, and bold grilled veggie marinade in just minutes. I dare say that these marinated vegetables will wind up being the star of your meal…
What Ingredients You Need
You can grill many vegetables with only a little oil, salt, and pepper, but a good, simple marinade makes all the difference. I love this easy blend, made with pantry staples that together add a punch of perfectly savory-sweet flavor to your favorite summer veggies.
Here is what you need for the Grilled Vegetables Marinade:
- Olive oil – to get the perfect grilled char
- Balsamic vinegar – slightly sweet, deep, and tangy flavor
- Dijon mustard – adds an extra punch of tanginess and thickens the marinade
- Honey – for a hint of sweetness and great caramelization; you can also use agave to make vegan
- Seasonings – dried thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Our Favorite Veggies for Grilling:
- Red bell pepper
Other types of produce you can grill with our vegetable marinade include eggplant, green and/or yellow bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, and onions. Get creative!
How to Make the Best Marinade for Grilled Vegetables
Simply set out a 1-2 cup measuring pitcher, measure all ingredients into the pitcher, and whisk until smooth. That’s it!
Use this grilled vegetable marinade immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to a week for later use.
How to Marinate and Grill Veggies
1. First, prep the veggies. Trim and slice all of the vegetables into long strips as shown. This makes them less likely to fall through the grill grates.
2. Place the vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet, and pour the marinade over the vegetables. Then gently toss the veggies to coat in the marinade.
3. Allow the vegetables to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
You can marinate hard vegetables like carrots in the fridge overnight. However, I wouldn’t recommend marinating softer veggies, such as zucchini and asparagus, for that long.
4. When almost ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees F.
5. Once the grill is hot, place the carrots on first, laying them across the grates so they don’t fall through. Let the carrots grill for 3-4 minutes, then flip them over. Then lay the rest of the vegetables on the grill.
As mentioned, you can use any vegetables you like with this marinade. But a pro tip for grilling: Be sure to place the hardest, most dense, vegetables on the grill first to give them a head start. Root vegetables will need more time to grill than other vegetables.
6. Give the marinated grilled vegetables a few more minutes, flipping halfway through cooking once a nice char has formed. Remove with tongs and plate to serve.
While grilled veggies won’t be as terrifically crispy and crunchy when reheated, they will keep well stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can even enjoy them as cold leftovers!
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade Recipe Below. Enjoy!
What Goes Well with Marinated Grilled Vegetables?
Tender, hearty grilled vegetables are the perfect side dish for servings with simple and delicious proteins that can also be cooked on the grill. Try this recipe in a kebab style with skewers along with this 4-Ingredient Magic Grilled Chicken Breasts and Grilled Pork Tenderloin recipes.
Or, for a completely vegetarian meal, make it with Grilled Artichokes with Miso Butter or our favorite Grilled Corn with Smokey Lime Mayo.
You can also enjoy marinated veggies by themselves with a bright and flavorful sauce, like our Creamy Chimichurri Sauce recipe or Aji Verde (Peruvian Green Sauce).
Looking for More Summer Side Dish Recipes?
- Giardiniera Pickled Vegetables
- 15 Bean Salad
- Vegetable Pakora with Kale
- Caribbean Coleslaw Recipe
- Grilled Fruit Salad with Creamy Lime Dressing
- Potato Chip Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle
- Sauteed Yellow Squash Recipe
- Italian Summer Pasta with Orange and Basil
- Loaded Cauliflower Florets Buffalo Wings
- Southwest Brussel Sprouts and Beans
- Grilled Romaine Lettuce Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
- Baked Green Beans Almondine
Check the printable recipe card for nutritional information including calories, sodium, protein, and fiber percentages.
The Best Grilled Vegetables Marinade
For the Grilled Vegetables Marinade:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Grilled Vegetables:
- 1 pound carrots halved or quartered
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed
- 2 zucchini cut into sixths
- 2 yellow squash cut into sixths
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into ½ inch strips
To Make the Marinade:
- Set out a 1-2 cup measuring pitcher. Measure all ingredients into the pitcher. Whisk until smooth. (Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for later use.)
For the Best Grilled Vegetables:
- Trim and slice all the vegetables into long strips. This makes them less likely to fall through the grill grates.
- Place the vegetables on a large rimmed baking sheet. Pour the marinade over the vegetables. Then gently toss the veggies to coat in the marinade.
- Allow the vegetables to marinate for 30+ minutes. (Or up to several hours.)
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees F.
- Once the grill is hot, place the carrots on first, laying them across the grates so they don’t fall through. Let the carrots grill for 3-4 minutes, then flip them over. Then lay the rest of the vegetables on the grill. Grill another 8-10 minutes, flipping once. Remove with tongs.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Excellent marinade for vegetables. We enjoyed this recipe greatly!
I was thinking about trying this in my air fryer
Pingback: 16 Delicious Side Dishes Go With Skirt Steak Recipes To Serve
Pingback: Delicious Marinade Recipes - A Little Craft In Your Day
Pingback: WEEKLY MENU 07.24.22 - The Well Seasoned Mom
So good recipe🤗thankyou so much 😍
Pingback: The Top 10+ Veggies On The Grill Recipes
Yum, this was delicious. I typically make a similar recipe, with just balsamic and olive oil, honey, basil and fresh garlic. This takes it to the next level. I didn’t want to open a Dijon mustard (very little room in my tiny fridge) so I used what I had in there, a horseradish mustard and it was amazing. Thanks for the inspiration. I too used fresh garlic and more than the recipe calls for.
great! haven’t been using any marinade, but eating a lot of vegetables, they’re getting a little one-note, this will help, plus need more olive oil in my diet, so thank you!
This marinade was absolutely delicious! The combination of mustard, honey, and thyme along with everything else was terrific.
Really tasty. You know it’s good when I go for more before bed! Haha
I found this too sweet. Next time I may try this with either the balsamic vinegar or the honey, but not both. Just my preference. Otherwise it was good.
This looks like a tasty way to change up my regular old grilled veggies.
I loved the tangy flavor, would use again
This marinade was a hit, and smelled and tasted so good on the grilled veggies (carrots, red/green bell pepper, purple onion, zuccini). I will definately use it again on veggies, and plan to try it on chicken too.
I tried this recipe this afternoon and the the veggies were amazing! I did reserve a little liquid to toss over the finished veggies. l will use again .
Made these for dinner last night. Very delicious. I used zucchini, red peppers, green peppers, carrots, asparagus and onion. I also added fresh garlic and worcestshire sauce. Will make again!
I made this marinade this weekend for a very large platter of roasted vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, onions, red peppers, asparagus, green beans, squash and zucchini), for Easter. Outstanding! My sister asked me for the recipe!
Pingback: Grilling Season: Tips For Healthy Grilling - Monk At 25
Made this today for dinner. Absolutely delicious! Left them to marinate for about 1.5hours. Will definitely be making these again.
These look so delicious and mouthwatering! I’m so excited to share this with my family! Can’t wait to make this!
I love grilling vegetables! This is my new favorite marinade!
This marinade is seriously amazing! A new staple at my kitchen!
yum, great change from my usual raw vegetables, thank you!
So easy to make and made the vegetables taste so good! Loved it!