Tex Mex Popcorn
Zesty Tex Mex Popcorn with cool and spicy appeal! Today’s popcorn recipe is a fun party snack that everyone will love. Handful after handful this recipe never gets old…
Popcorn is my all-time favorite snack. Late at night (when I’m not supposed to be eating) I can resist the temptation for nearly anything else. Yet if Lt. Dan asks if I want some popcorn, I cave instantly without thinking.
Because of this clear-cut addiction, we have numerous popcorn recipes we fall back on evening after evening.
Tex Mex Popcorn is high on the list.
Not only does it offer the buttery crunch of classic stove-top popcorn, it is loaded with tex mex spices, sun dried tomatoes, crumbled chorizo, salty queso fresco and cool creamy avocado.
There are so many amazing flavors and textures working together here, it’s like a fiesta in your mouth.
The addition of all these extra goodies, not only provides intense south of the boarder panache, it makes this popcorn recipe a meal, of sorts.
Of course it’s intended to be a snack… but I would certainly be happy to sit down with a bowl of this popcorn around 6ish in the evening, and not need anything else the rest of the night.
To make tex mex popcorn, simply pop the corn in a large heavy stock pot, then toss with melted butter and spices until well coated.
Mix in the tangy sun dried tomatoes and top with chorizo, crumbly cheese, and avocado.
Then munch, munch, munch away.
Tex mex popcorn will make any night feel like a fiesta, even if your just sitting on the couch in your jammies.
This one’s a keeper!
Tex Mex Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes diced (dried vacuum sealed, not in oil)
- 3/4 cup cooked chorizo crumbled
- 3/4 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1 avocado (firm but ripe) diced
- Place the oil and popcorn kernels in a large heavy bottomed stock pot. Cover, leaving the lid slightly offset to vent, and turn on medium heat. Listen to the popcorn. Once the popping stops, remove from the heat immediately and pour into a large bowl, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile prepare all other toppings.
- Mix the salt and spices together in a small bowl. Shake the larger bowl of popcorn while pouring the melted butter and spice blend over the top. Shake until thoroughly coated, then toss in the sun dried tomatoes.
- Scoop the popcorn into smaller serving bowls and top each bowl with crumbled chorizo, queso fresco, and diced avocado. Serve immediately!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!