Strawberry Sweet Rolls
Yield: 12 rolls
Prep Time:40 minutes (active time)
Cook Time:20 minutes
Moist and sticky Strawberry Sweet Rolls Recipe, made with tender homemade dough, strawberry filling, and lemon cream cheese glaze.
For the Dough:
- 1 cup scalded whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 4+ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the Filling and Glaze:
- 15 ounce can premium strawberry pie filling
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- Set the butter, eggs and cream cheese out to warm to room temperature. Place the milk in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. The moment it reaches a boil, remove from heat. (This process is called scalding, and it ensures the milk doesn’t effect the yeast’s ability to rise. Don’t skip!)
- Pour the hot milk into the bowl of an electric mixer and add 1/2 cup butter, to bring the temperature down. Stir and allow the butter to melt completely. Then stir in the sugar. Touch the milk mixture to test the temperature. It should be close to luke warm. If it is not, add 1/2 cup flour and test again. Once it is just above room temperature, stir in the yeast and let it foam for approximately 10 minutes. (Hot liquid can kill yeast.)
- Place the bread hook on the mixer and turn on low. Add the eggs, salt, and remaining flour up to 4 cups. Allow the mixer to “knead” the dough until it pulls away from the sides. Run the mixer for approximately 10 minutes to allow the dough to stretch and develop the gluten. If the dough seems too sticky after the first 2-3 minutes add an additional 1/4 cup flour. After 10 minutes, turn the mixer off. Cover the top with plastic, and allow the dough to rise until double in size, approximately 60-90 minutes in a warm kitchen.
- Dump the inflated dough out on a well-floured work surface. Fold into thirds and press flat. Then turn and fold into thirds again and press into a rectangle. Roll the rectangle out into a large 12 X 20 inch sheet.
- Using a large flat spreader, spread the strawberry pie filling (or fresh strawberries) over the sheet into a thin layer. Leave 1 1/2 inches bare on one long edge. Be careful not to gouge holes in the dough. Starting at the covered long edge, roll the dough sheet tightly toward the uncovered edge to form a long tight log. Place a piece of parchment paper in a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Then cut the log into 12 equal rolls, and place them in the baking dish to rise. This is a messy process. If strawberries fall out, just tuck them back in the rolls once cut.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Allow the rolls to rise for at least 30 minutes while the oven heats. Then bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are barely golden and the centers of each roll are puffed up.
- For the Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze: While the rolls are in the oven, beat the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon zest together until completely smooth. The moment the rolls come out of the oven, gently spread the glaze over the tops and allow it to seep down into the cracks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NOTES: This recipe can be made with fresh strawberries when in season. Instead of pie filling, mix 2 cups sliced strawberries, with 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Spread the berries over the dough as directed above and continue following the recipe as-is.
Yield: 12 rolls, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 250 Calories
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Sodium: 496mg
- Carbohydrates: 31.8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 22.2g
- Protein: 3.5g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
PAGE: 1 2