Strawberry Brownies with Chocolate Brownie Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Strawberry Brownies (From Cake Mix!) with Chocolate Brownie Frosting – Easy boxed cake mix strawberry brownies are fruity and super fudgy, and topped with a perfectly rich homemade chocolate frosting.
Cake mix brownies are all the rage right now. And we are so here for it.
Recipes for cakes and brownies tend to use very similar ingredients, and so it’s wonderfully easy to transform just about any boxed cake mix into a rich batch of scrumptious brownies.
By using fewer eggs and liquid, and baking for less time than the box calls for, your favorite cake mix turns into perfectly dense, slightly chewy, and utterly delicious brownies. How does this work? Fewer eggs/liquid and less baking time equals less volume, creating that signature gooey brownie texture we all know and love.
I’ve tried this method several times now with a great variety of flavors (hey, someone’s gotta do it… you’re welcome *wink*), and hands-down these Cake Mix Strawberry Brownies were the most raved about around our house!
Easy Strawberry Brownies with the Best Chocolate Brownie Frosting
Strawberry Brownies with Chocolate Brownie Frosting is a super simple strawberry brownie recipe made with boxed cake mix.
They are filled with the perkiness of mouthwatering strawberries and topped with a thick chocolate frosting that dries and crackles beautifully, but is still wonderfully soft to the bite.
These comforting brownie bars give you the flavor of chocolate dipped strawberries, yet they have a much a longer shelf-life and richer, more indulgent texture. Plus, it is super easy to make a large batch of brownies to keep on-hand or serve at a potluck or party.
Get ready to impress at your next family gathering, and be ready to have everyone asking you for this recipe!
What Ingredients You Need
Cake Mix strawberry brownies are bright and bold, and perfect for summer. The chocolate frosting is certainly optional, but absolutely raises the decadence of this recipe to another level of ohmygoshyum.
Simple ingredients for the best Strawberry Brownies recipe:
- Boxed strawberry cake mix – or any cake mix flavor you like!
- Unsalted butter or flavorless oil
Although I show Duncan Hines cake mix in the photos, my kids have determined that these brownies are best made with Pillsbury Strawberry Cake Mix.
What you need to make homemade Chocolate Brownie Frosting:
- Unsalted butter
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Corn syrup or honey
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy cream
You can use half and half in place of heavy cream in this frosting recipe, but it needs to be ice cold to get the proper texture.
How to Make Cake Mix Strawberry Brownies
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish, and line it with parchment paper or foil. Set aside.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl combine the boxed cake mixes, eggs, and melted butter. Stir until smooth.
- Scoop the thick batter into the prepared pan. Spread it out in an even layer. Then bake for 15-17 minutes.
You want the brownie edges to be set and the center to be just baked through, so the texture is fudgy. Don’t over-bake!
Allow the strawberry brownies to cool in the pan as you make the chocolate frosting.
How to Make Chocolate Brownie Frosting
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on medium speed to beat softened butter and cocoa powder together until very smooth.
- Scrape the bowl, and beat in the corn syrup or honey and vanilla extract. Then turn the mixer on low and beat in the powdered sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Add one tablespoon of heavy cream at a time while continuing to blend, until the brownie frosting is smooth and spreadable.
Feel free to use less or the full amount of heavy cream called for in this recipe, depending on how thick you like your brownie frosting.
Slather the frosting over the warm brownies and let them cool to room temperature.
Once cooled, carefully lift the entire sheet of brownies out of the pan by the edges of the parchment paper or foil.
Cut and serve. You can either portion as 24 small or 12 large brownies.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days for maximum freshness.
Strawberry brownies can be frozen for up to 3 months, but I recommend waiting until you’re ready to actually enjoy before topping with freshly made chocolate frosting.
Get the Complete (Printable) Cake Mix Strawberry Brownies with Chocolate Brownie Frosting Recipe Below. Enjoy!
I love to top these chocolate covered strawberries-inspired brownies with real fresh strawberries for even more perky flavor.
What Other Flavors of Cake Mix Brownies Can You Try?
Use our easy recipe for making nearly any flavor of brownies from your favorite boxed cake mix!
Cherry, orange, banana, rainbow confetti (AKA funfetti), red velvet, and, of course, all varieties of chocolate cake mixes make yummy brownies for topping with decadent chocolate brownie frosting.
Just like these strawberry brownies, try topping other fruity brownies with slices of fresh fruit.
And speaking of rainbow confetti, I highly recommend you try our Funetti Homemade Frosting if you are looking for a non-chocolate alternative cake mix brownie frosting!
Looking for More Decadent Brownie Recipes?
- Gooey Caramel Brownies
- French Silk Chocolate Brownies
- Brownie Bites with Oreo Frosting
- Velvet Brownie Swirl Cake
- Brownie Belgium Waffles a la Mode
Strawberry Brownies (From Cake Mix!) with Chocolate Brownie Frosting
For the Strawberry Brownies
- 2 15.25-ounce boxes strawberry cake mix (My kids like Pillsbury best!)
- 4 large eggs
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter melted (or flavorless oil)
For the Chocolate Brownie Frosting
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons corn syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- For The Strawberry Brownies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish. Then line it with parchment paper or foil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mixes, eggs, and melted butter. Stir until smooth.
- Scoop the thick batter into the prepared pan. Spread it out in an even layer. Then bake for 15-17 minutes. You want the edges to be set and the center to be just baked through, so the texture is fudgy.
- For The Brownie Frosting: Allow the strawberry brownies to cool as you make the frosting. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the softened butter and cocoa powder together until very smooth.
- Scrape the bowl and beat in the corn syrup and vanilla extract. Then turn the mixer on low and beat in the powdered sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Add one tablespoon of heavy cream at a time until the brownie frosting is smooth and spreadable.
- Slather the frosting over the warm brownies and let them cool to room temperature.
- Then lift the entire sheet of brownies out of the pan by the edges of the parchment paper. Cut and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
These turned out amazing…can’t wait to make them again.
This is such a great idea using cake mix! The flavor combination is perfect!
This was really amazing! It was a huge hit with my family!
I LOVE strawberries and chocolate! I’m so excited to make these. They look out of this world delicious!