Twice Baked Potatoes gone wild! These cheesy crunchy Spicy Mesquite Twice Baked Potatoes will be a HUGE hit on your Thanksgiving table this year, or any table for that matter.
So… you call yourself a potato lover.
Well I’ve got a recipe today that is going to blow your mind.
Cheesy. Spicy. Creamy. Fluffy. Salty. Crunchy. Bacon-y… with a touch of smoky bbq flavor.
These twice baked potatoes have it all!
For those of you who have never tried making twice baked potatoes, they are much easier than you might think.
You simple bake your potatoes, spoon out the centers, add a bunch of goodies, and fill them back up… more or less.
Today’s Spicy Mesquite Twice Baked Potatoes start with classic baked potatoes that have been scalped and emptied out.
Then mix the potato flesh with silky sour cream, a little milk, and a whole lot of spicy pepper cheese.
You could use any variety of pepper cheese that you like (jalapeño, pepper jack, chipotle)… I used habanero cheddar.
The cheese is highly important, because it offers rich and spicy flavor and helps the potato centers puff up while baking. So make sure you love the cheese you select.
You know what else is highly important? A crunchy top!
And what better to give these Spicy Mesquite Twice Baked Potatoes a crunchy top, than crispy bacon and crumbled POTATO CHIPS.
I sprinkled the top of each potato with mesquite bbq potato chip crumbs before baking to provide serious crunch and a sweet and smoky flavor.
The combination of spicy cheese, creamy potato goodness, and that crunchy bacon potato chip top will be more than you can bare, I promise.
Spicy Mesquite Twice Baked Potatoes are the swoon-worthiest potatoes we’ve ever made.
Your holiday guests will love them… and love YOU for making them!
Spicy Mesquite Twice Baked Potatoes
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:80 minutes
Spicy Mesquite Twice Baked Potatoes with bacon, and bbq mesquite potato chip top for extra crunch! These babies are full of cheesy goodness and contrasting flavors.
- 8 average-sized russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded pepper cheese (I used Habanero Cheddar)
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup crumbled mesquite bbq potato chips
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Rub the potatoes with oil on all sides, then sprinkle liberally with salt. Bake for approximately 1 hour, until crispy on the outside, but tender on the inside.
- Cut the top third off each potato. Peel the skin off the top and place the potato flesh in a mixing bowl. Then use a spoon to scoop most of the potato flesh out of each potato, leaving only enough to keep the sides stabilized.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the potato flesh with the sour cream and milk. Add the shredded cheese and taste. Salt and pepper if needed. (The potato mixture might seem a little sticky or gloppy, but don’t worry. It fluffs up in the oven.)
- Spoon the potato filling back into the empty potato skins. Then sprinkle the top of each potato with crumbled bacon and bbq potato chips. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until puffy and golden.
- Serve the twice baked potatoes warm, garnished with chopped green onions.
Yield: 8, Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 450 Calories
- Total Fat: 24.8g
- Saturated Fat: 11.7g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Sodium: 497mg
- Carbohydrates: 44.9g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Protein: 13.4g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Looking for more Potato Side Dishes for Thanksgiving?
Sweet Potato Souffles