This simple 5-Ingredient Spicy Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese Recipe is perfect for parties or romantic evenings. Each savory-sweet bite is packed with heat!
Devils On Horseback History
Bacon wrapped dates have been a classic party appetizer for centuries.
They originated in Great Britain under the name Devils on Horseback. This classic pub snack may have gained its unique title from the dark red and black coloring combination, although no one really knows.
Traditional recipes involve dried prunes or dates stuffed with cheese or nuts, then wrapped in bacon, and baked until crispy.
Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates
Because dates are so sweet, the salty bacon and tangy goat cheese balance its flavor extremely well.
However, I feel one further step must be taken to fully offset the intense sweetness of the dates. In my opinion, they need a little spicy heat.
That’s right! Sweet, spicy, salty, creamy, crunchy… These Spicy Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese offer dazzling flavor and textural appeal!
Spicy Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese Ingredients
To make this classic powerhouse party snack with a kick, you only need 5 ingredients…
- Goat cheese (or cream cheese is great too!)
- Cayenne pepper
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Remove the date pits – Cut the dates in half and pull out the pits.
- Spice up the cheese – Mix shaved jalapeno pepper into goat cheese. At some markets you may be able to find chevre goat cheese already flavored with jalapeños.
- Stuff – Spoon the goat cheese into the dates. Then close them up.
- Wrap – Wrap bacon around each date.
- Bake – Sprinkle the dates with cayenne pepper and bake!
Get the Full (Printable) Spicy Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese Recipe Below!
Bacon Wrapped Dates Q&A
Press a paring knife into the center of a date. Make a small incision and squeeze out the pit. If the size of the cut doesn’t matter in your recipe, you can simply cut the dates in half to remove the pits.
Approximately 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the bacon.
400 degrees F is the best temperature for baking bacon wrapped dates. The high heat allow the bacon to crisp, without over cooking the date.
Keep your bacon wrapped dates in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Yes! Thaw them at room temperature. Then reheat in the oven.
More Dazzling Party Snacks
- 3-Cheese Baked Oysters
- Slow Cooker Cocktail Meatballs
- Sweet and Spicy Fiddlesticks
- Butter Chicken Sliders
- Buffalo Bacon Roasted Cauliflower
- Jalapeno Hushpuppies
- Steak Fingers with Country Gravy
- Mini Spinach Ricotta Calzones
Spicy Bacon Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese
- 24 whole dates
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, or cream cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 24 toothpicks
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut the bacon strips in half.
Use a grater to shave the jalapeno into fine pieces. In a small bowl, mix the goat cheese and jalapeño until smooth.
Use a small paring knife to cut the dates in half, leaving them attached on one side. Remove the pits.
Stuff the date with the goat cheese mixture, then press them closed.
Wrap each date with half a bacon strip. Secure the ends of the bacon by sticking a toothpick all the way through the date.
Lay them on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Bake for 20+ minutes until the bacon is red and crispy.
Depending on the thickness of your bacon, these may take up to 30 minutes to bake.