Amazing island-style Slow Cooker Potato Curry. Light, fragrant and utterly delicious!
This Trinidad influenced Slow Cooker Potato Curry is a healthy, filling pot of goodness with flavors straight from the Isles.
It is a great vegetarian dish. Slow Cooker Potato Curry is packed with fresh veggies and seasoned with curry from Trinidad & Tobago, thanks to my “Trini” friend Mandi, who was able to procure the precious powder for me.
(Her favorite is Chief’s Curry Powder.)
Not to worry if you are unable to find this particular brand, it will still be delicious!
I just love how the heady aroma of Slow Cooker Potato Curry fills the air as it slowly simmers throughout the day.
The creamy coconut milk adds a gentle sweetness as the curry and aromatics infuse into the vegetables.
You can easily make Slow Cooker Potato Curry a one pot dish by skipping the sauté step all together. I like to sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger first to sweeten and intensify their flavors, but it is not necessary.
Either way, mix in the spices and liquids and pour over the other ingredients in this Slow Cooker Potato Curry. You don’t need to sauté the curry since it will cook for a long time.
I chose beautiful multicolored bite sized potatoes to add a bit of fun and ease to the dish. (No cutting or peeling required!)
These potatoes with okra, red bell peppers, chilies, and cilantro, bathed in golden curry, are a feast for the eyes and the taste buds.
Slow Cooker Potato Curry is most often eaten over rice or with roti, a type of flat bread.
Customize the heat to your liking by adjusting the amount of cayenne red pepper flakes and garnishing with chile peppers. Just keep in mind if you eat it with rice or roti, that will dilute the heat quite a bit.
Slow Cooker Potato Curry is a perfect example of the old Trinidad saying, ‘Betta belly buss, dan good food waste’… It is better to overeat than to waste great food!
Slow Cooker Potato Curry
- 1 ½ pounds of potatoes, any variety, peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 pound of okra, ends removed, thickly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoons of curry powder
- 13 ounce can of coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Chopped cilantro and red chile peppers for garnish, optional
- Layer the potatoes, okra and red bell peppers in slow cooker, potatoes on the bottom.
- Set a skillet Over medium heat. Add the oil and sauté the onions, garlic and ginger for 4-6 minutes, until soft. Remove from heat, and stir in spices and liquids.
- Pour the onion mixture over ingredients in crock pot. Cook on high for 2 ½ hours. Check the potatoes. If a fork is easily inserted into the potatoes, it is done. If not, cook another ½ hour and test again.
- When the potatoes and done, gently stir together and taste the sauce. Adjust seasoning if desired. Serve over rice or with roti. Garnish with cilantro, chilies and bell peppers.