Crockpot Chili Mac and Cheese
Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe – A cozy crockpot meal that can be prepped in minutes. This easy Chili Mac Recipe is rich and zesty!
Chili Mac To The Rescue
I want you to take a good long look at the images in this post, then close your eyes and just imagine what it smells like.
I assure you, the gently wafting fragrance of this Crockpot Chili Mac and Cheese is even more zesty and comforting than you might imagine.
This year, we are crushing winter dinner times with all our favorite crockpot meals.
It’s so rewarding to walk into the house after a long day of work (and driving little people around) then come face to face with a tantalizing aroma. A soothing reminder that dinner is taken care of, and waiting on you.
Crockpot Mac and Cheese
This particular Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe is extremely popular in my house right now. It combines all the best flavors of classic beef chili and creamy mac and cheese, into one giant crock of a beefy, cheesy pasta soup, of sorts.
There are a couple of surprise ingredients included that define the bold zesty flavor. I added ground chorizo for depth and spice, bell peppers for tangy sweetness, and sharp cheddar cheese. Adding the sharp cheddar makes it possible to add less cheese, while still providing a rich cheesy taste.
Less cheese equals less money, less fat, and fewer calories.
Have I convinced you to try it?
What Ingredients You Will Need
- Ground Beef
- Mexican Ground Chorizo
- Chopped Red Onion
- Red Bell Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken Broth
- Canned Red Kidney Beans
- “Fire Roasted” Diced Tomatoes – canned
- Chopped Green Chiles – canned
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Dried Macaroni Noodles – regular or gluten free
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Chili Mac and Recipe
- Cook Meat. Start by browning the ground beef and chorizo. Make sure to break it into little pieces with a wooden spoon. (If you add uncooked ground beef to a slow cooker, you’ll end up with a brick of ground beef in the end.)
- Add Chopped Veggies. Then add in the onions, peppers, and garlic to soften.
- Add to Crockpot. Pour the meat mixture into the slow cooker, followed by all sorts of yummy chili ingredients: diced tomatoes, green chiles, red beans, chili powder, and so on.
- Turn on Crockpot. Let the slow cooker work its magic for a few hours… You can turn it up to high and slow cook for just a couple hours, or set it on low and leave it for the day.
- Add Noodles. When you come home, stir in dried macaroni noodles, and let it simmer for another 30 minutes or so, to cook the pasta.
- Add Toppings. Then stir in shredded sharp cheddar cheese and some fresh chopped cilantro!
Get our Full (Printable) Crockpot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Our New Favorite Crockpot Dish
This is what you end up with, folks…
Rich chunky Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese with intense flavor and visual appeal.
I swear, every time I think about this chili mac I want to dive right into the crockpot. It makes a fabulous dinner any night of the week and is great for casual get-togethers.
Think Bunko night or for Sunday football games!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does This Chili Last?
This chili can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 4 days when stored in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze This Chili Recipe?
Yes, this chili can be stored in the freezer for 4 to 6 months when stored in an airtight container. Set in the fridge to defrost the night before and then warm it up on the stove or in the slow cooker again.
Can I Add in Any Other Kinds of Beans?
Yes, you can add in other beans if red kidney beans are not your favorite.
Can You Use Gluten Free Pasta?
Yes, you can! But it’s better to cook it separately and add it right before serving, because gluten free pasta tends to disintegrate.
Other Great Comfort Food Recipes
- Steak Fingers with Country Gravy Recipe
- Apple Baked Stuffed Pork Chops Recipe
- Oven Baked Meatballs (Old School Italian Recipe)
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole (Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe)
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
- Roman Chicken with Peppers and Onions Recipe
- Chicago-Style Deep Dish Cast Iron Pizza Recipe
- Smothered Steak and Gravy Recipe
- Creamy Baked Rigatoni Bolognese Recipe
- Healthy Ground Chicken Meatloaf Recipe
- Retro French Chicken Recipe (Baked Lemon Garlic Breasts)
- Italian Chicken Cutlets Recipe (Pan Fried or Baked)
- Smothered Chicken Recipe (Chicken and Gravy)
- Mexican Chicken Chili Recipe by Taste of Home
Crockpot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounces Mexican ground chorizo
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 30 ounces canned red kidney beans drained
- 14.5 ounces "fire roasted" diced tomatoes
- 4.5 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cup dried macaroni
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and chorizo. Brown the meat and break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Then push the ground meat to the edges of the pan and add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté another 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Pour the ground meat mixture into the crock of a large oval slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, drained beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and slow cook for at least 2 hours on high. However, you could leave the mixture on low for up to 10 hours.
- When it's close to dinner time, add the dried macaroni noodles and stir. Then cover and slow cook on high for another 30-45 minutes. Once the pasta is soft, stir in the shredded cheese and cilantro. Serve warm, with additional cheese and cilantro if desired.