A hearty soup for healthy eating through the winter, Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup!
I feel you.
January is always a needed, yet slightly unpleasant, jolt to my body and routine.
I’m trying to ease myself into healthy eating this year with warm filling dishes that make me feel like I’m enjoying classic comfort food.
My simple Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is a stellar recipe for this sort of mental trickery.
It’s rich and flavorful, loaded with veggies, rustic wild rice, and shredded chicken, and makes your tummy warm and happy!
Not only that, Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is low in fat, dairy free, gluten free, and packed with vitamins and nutrients.
Not too shabby for a rich hearty slow cooker meal!
The key to making Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup so appealing, is to add lots of herbs and veggies for flavor, and to not over cook the rice.
All slow cookers are slightly different. The first time you make this, keep an eye on your settings, time, and the rice. Yours may take as little as 3 hours to cook through, but might take much longer.
Adding a slurry of white wine and flour (or potato starch for gluten free) helps thicken the soup without additional fatty ingredients.
If you would like to eliminate the wine (although it adds a lot of flavor) substitute extra chicken broth instead.
Our Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup is keeping us on the straight and narrow this January.
I promise, your family will love this Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup recipe. In fact, I bet they won’t even notice it’s good for them.
My kids gobbled it down two days in a row.
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:3+ hours
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup! Throw it in the crockpot and let it simmer until dinner time. A gluten free, dairy free, low fat option.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 heaping cup chopped celery
- 1 heaping cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 cup dried wild rice
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or potato starch for gluten free version)
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat a skillet to medium heat, and add the olive oil. Once hot, sauté the chopped onions, celery, carrots, and garlic to soften, 3-5 minutes. Then scoop them into the crock of a large slow cooker.
- Add the chicken breasts, mushrooms, thyme, wild rice, chicken broth, 1 tablespoon sea salt and 1 teaspoon ground pepper. Cover and set to high for 3-4 hours.
- 30-60 minutes before serving: Remove the cooked chicken breasts. Shred them with a fork and add the shredded meat back to the crock. Make a slurry by mixing the flour (or potato starch) with the white wine. Mix until smooth. Then stir into the soup. Stir in the parsley. Then cover and allow the soup to simmer until the base is thick. Serve warm!
All-Day Cooking Instructions: If you plan on leaving your soup to simmer all day, follow the first two steps, omitting the wild rice. Set the slow cooker on low and let it simmer for 7-10 hours. Then once you return home, remove the chicken breasts. Add the wild rice and the flour-wine slurry immediately. Cover and turn the slow cooker on high. Shred the chicken breasts and add the meat and parsley to the slow cooker. Allow the slow cooker to simmer until the rice has cooked through and the soup is thick, 60-90 minutes.
Yield: 8-10 servings, Serving Size: 10
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 282 Calories
- Total Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 683mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Protein: 25.2g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!