Sweet Chile Shrimp Tacos
Simple zesty tacos with international appeal. Spicy sweet chile shrimp tacos, with crunchy jicama slaw and cool avocado cream is just the kind of meal I like to serve out on the deck on a warm spring evening.
A good taco is a welcomed clash of flavors and textures, from hot and spicy to cool and crisp, all wrapped up in a warm tortilla to complete its portable dining perfection.
I never get tired of tacos. As long as we mix them up, I could eat tacos every night of the week. It’s fun to try different flavor combinations, starting with Mexican classics, then venturing into fusion food favorites.
Today’s thai-inspired sweet chile shrimp tacos are a simple variation we crave on a regular basis.
The spicy-sweet chile and honey glaze roasted with the shrimp gives them fragrant Asian appeal with a kick.
I served the shrimp on a bed of a cool and crunchy jicama slaw with red cabbage and zippy green onions. The crunchy sweet essence of the jicama adds a wonderful contrast to the spicy sweet chile glaze.
If you happen to be on a low-carb diet, you could even skip the tortillas altogether, and double up on the slaw for a sensational salad.
Then top the shrimp tacos (or salad) with cool creamy avocado sauce.
Add a little, or a lot. The avocado sauce helps soften the spicy shrimp, for those with delicate palates.
This shrimp taco recipe is a winner.
All the distinct elements come together in a harmonious marriage of juicy finger-licking flavor.
Have you created an innovative taco recipe before?
I’d love to hear about it.
Tell me about your favorite taco recipe in the comments below!
For the Shrimp Tacos:
- 1 1/2 pounds large raw shrimp peeled and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons chile garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oil peanut, vegetable
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package tortillas corn or flour
For the Jicama Slaw:
- 1 cup jicama sliced julienne
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
For the Avocado Cream:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the cleaned shrimp on a large rimmed baking sheet and pat dry with a paper towel. Pour the chile sauce, honey, vinegar, oil and garlic over the top. Toss to coat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For the slaw, place the jicama, red cabbage and green onions in a bowl. Drizzle with oil, vinegar and honey. Taste and pepper to taste and toss to coat. Place in the refrigerator to keep cool until ready to serve.
- For the avocado cream sauce, place all ingredients in the food processor and puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once the oven is hot, bake the shrimp for 4-6 minutes until pink and just barely cooked through. Remove from the oven and toss on the baking sheet to coat in sauce.
- To serve: Warm the tortillas and place them on plates. Top each tortilla with a scoop of jicama slaw, 3-4 shrimp, and a dollop of avocado cream sauce.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
I just told my husband about this recipe and will now print it. He was/is excited about trying this. We both enjoy jicama and shrimp and won’t forget about the Avocado cream.
Pingback: Ginger Scallion Turkey Meatballs with Chili Dipping Sauce | barefeetinthekitchen.com
Awesome post, gorgeous photos, on my Mother’s Day weekend menu! Yum!
THIS was my treat to myself for Mother’s Day…. What a GREAT choice I made. I loved it…. and so did my men!. Loved how when each of the elements came into the finished product… it totally changed the taste. Yes.. the shrimp were a tad spicy… but the avocado cream, sweet/sour slaw, and tortilla just tamed it to perfection! Thanks.
Pingback: Link Love #36 | Barr & Table
I drool for shrimp. Love everything about this!
I would love a big plate of these for dinner!
That sauce for the shrimp sounds divine!
So good. That cilantro cream is calling my name!
I want to eat these tacos all summer long, love the Thai flavors!
These look phenomenal! I cant wait to try them!
I just love this recipe. So inventive!
I love light and flavorful tacos like this!
Oh yum! Love chile shrimp!!!
This is a fantastic recipe and I LOVE jicama. I actually have one now that I could use and the shrimp too. I think this is my next meal for sure. Kudos Sommer, this is so delicious looking and the flavors are really something, I like all of them. The only thing I don’t eat is cilantro so I am ready for this one!!!!! Thanks, my taco recipe is usually flounder with an avocado sauce and always have jicama in my slaw with apples too. I had to learn to eat the fish tacos when my Son was in San Diego at Coronado Island. I had never eaten them before so he took me to Mexico and we had fish tacos. Oh my goodness they were so good. I like red snapper or red or black grouper also for my fish. I put avocado in my spaghetti, so I am not afraid of it. It is like my go to mayo so to speak.
These would be a hit at my house! Love the avocado cream!
These shrimp tacos looks absolutely delicious! I love the jicama slaw and the avocado sauce…both favorites of mine. Thansk for sharing!
these look completely awesome Sommer!!! Love that sauce!
Shrimp tacos are soooo good! YUM!
Love these bright flavors! I need this for lunch today!
These look wonderful ~ totally craving for lunch today!
yum! I could never get tired of tacos either! these look like they have amazing flavor!
Love the avocado cream!
I love thai sweet chili shrimp. These tacos are so my thing!
I just bought shrimp yesterday to make tacos and we have come to love Thai sweet chili sauce