Hope for the New Year
Ever year, after all the holiday festivities have come and gone, I sit down and force myself to set goals for the new year.
As an artsy-type, this is not something I like to do.
I would much rather trust that things will always turn out the way they should as I float through the months.
Yet life has taught me otherwise.
Sometimes the only way to get out of a bad situation, or get into a good situation, is to make deliberate changes in your life.
And how can you change if you don’t evaluate where you’ve been and where you want to go?
I know some people snub the idea of New Year’s resolutions.
Yet January is just as good a time as any to dream about what the next year could look like, if you were willing to alter your course.
I generally try to set a couple serious goals and a couple fun goals for the following categories:
There’s something about writing down your dreams that makes them come alive.
It may not feel like anything is different at first but, subconsciously, you are aware of your goals and have created a source of accountability for yourself.
Last January, Lt. Dan had to practically force me to make goals for 2012. We had just gone through a tough year and I didn’t feel like I was in the right state-of-mind to be hopeful for the future.
(Honestly, I was having a pity party.)
Yet the exercise planted a vision in my heart, of things that needed to change.
Things that could change.
Some things that I could change immediately, and some things that would take a little faith.
I have opened my notebook several times this year to take a long hard look at the goals I set.
Some of them have happened naturally and some I’ve had to work at quite a bit.
However 95% of the goals I set have been accomplished, and I’ve made serious headway on the remaining 5%.
I probably wouldn’t have done ANY of these things if I hadn’t written them down.
Evaluating your life and setting goals can be a slightly painful personal exercise.
- You’ve got to be brutally honest with yourself.
- You’ve got to dare to think beyond your comfort zone.
- You’ve got to address old habits that hold you back.
Painful as it is, doing this makes a huge difference in personal growth.
I am already working on my goals for 2013, are you?