Savory Breakfast Scones
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
A soft buttery scone recipe filled with sausage, cheese and veggies. These savory breakfast scones are the perfect way to celebrate morning.
I start off each day with two bright-eyed faces, looking down at me.
“Come on Mommy, it’s time to get ready for school.”
I hop out of bed, brush my teeth, and head downstairs to fix breakfast and pack lunches.
As I shuffle around the kitchen, the kids chatter about their plans for the day, and tell me funny stories from the day before. I always marvel at their excitement for the hours ahead, and think I just might feel the same way, after a nice cup of coffee.
Lt. Dan drives the kids to school. Then we both have a little breakfast in our quiet house and chat about our to-do lists. I cherish these morning hours, both the noisy moments and the quiet ones.
Even though we often eat in shifts, I find that breakfast is much more enjoyable for everyone, if I’ve done a little planning ahead.
Some days I make pancakes (or muffins) and save the leftovers for a quick breakfast the next morning. I also try to freeze all my over-ripe fruit to make easy smoothies.
Yet one of my favorite breakfast items is savory scones.
Even though scones are pretty quick to make, I like to prepare them a day ahead and keep them in the fridge, so I can pop the cold dough into the oven for warm freshly-baked scones… even on mornings when we’re in a hurry.
The crispy tops and buttery layers are a wonderful platform for all sorts of additions, sweet and savory.
Today I’m sharing a savory scone recipe that is loaded with breakfast favorites. Sausage, muenster cheese, sweet red pepper, garlic and scallions make these tender little biscuits explode with flavor.
Enjoying breakfast scones always makes me feel like I’m starting off the day with a little bit of luxury.
It just goes to show, a quick and convenient breakfast can still be something worth savoring!
- 8 ounces pork sausage
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup green onion scallions
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 cold eggs
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded muenster cheese
- 1 egg white + 2 teaspoons water for egg wash
- Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Once the sausage is cooked through, drain in a paper towel lined bowl and add the red pepper and garlic to the skillet. Saute for 2-3 minutes until softened and remove from heat to cool. Prep all other chopped veggies and herbs while the sausage and peppers are cooling.
- Now mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in the bowl of your electric mixer. Chop the cold butter into cubes and place it into the bowl. Mix on low until the butter is the size of peas, then add the eggs and cream. Mix until just combined and add the completely cooled sausage, peppers and garlic, cheese, green onions, and thyme. Gently stir.
- Dump the dough onto a well floured work surface. Press it flat until it's 1 1/4-inch thick, then use a 1 1/2- to 2-inch cookie cutter to cut out the scones. Cut them as close together as possible. Flour the cutter between cuts and place the scones on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Gather the leftover dough, then press flat and cut again.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the scones in the fridge while the oven is heating to keep them cold. Then once the oven is ready, whisk the egg white and water together for egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the tops of the scones. Bake for 12-16 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!