Salmon Burgers with Sweet Potato Slaw
Lean and zesty Salmon Burgers with Sweet Potato Slaw! Serve them as-is, or piled high on a bun.
Do you love to make things interesting on the dinner table?
Today’s Salmon Burgers with Sweet Potato Slaw recipe is a fun and tasty use of staple ingredients.
What are your go-to ingredients when making a meal?
For us, it’s chicken breast, salmon, broccoli, sweet potatoes, avocados, nuts, and fresh herbs. These are foods that are always in my house, and the first things I reach for when I’m making dinner in a hurry.
We love a classic roasted salmon fillet, topped with herbs and seasoning. Yet, salmon is such a versatile fish, it’s a shame not to branch out now and again.
Have you ever made salmon patties?
Salmon is rich and fatty, so it’s a fabulous platform for burgers. By simply mixing in a few ingredients for flavor, and a binder or two, you end up with light and lean seafood patties packed with tons of vibrant flavor.
Adding cracker crumbs into the patty mixture helps hold in the moisture so the salmon burgers stay ultra tender.
These Salmon Burgers with Sweet Potato Slaw are a perfect recipe for spring and summer.
They are bold in taste, texture, and color, with bright pops of lemon, chive, and dill. Nestled on a bed of raw sweet potato slaw, these salmon patties are a hot-cold contrast that delights the palate.
Cabbage is the traditional base for slaw recipes. However, a unique burgers deserved a equally unique slaw by its side.
Using raw shredded sweet potatoes in the slaw offers not only color, sweetness, and crunch to this recipe, it also provides an abundance of vitamins and minerals.
Although my family adores these salmon patties, they feel the surprise of the sweet potato slaw, with sharp red onion and golden raisins mixed in, is what really sets these burgers apart.
Salmon Burgers with Sweet Potato Slaw Recipe can be enjoyed on a bun, like classic burgers. Or toss the bun out for a lighter meal.
Either way, this spectacular out-of-the-ordinary burger recipe is going to rock your dinner table!
More Summer Burgers
Salmon Burgers with Sweet Potato Slaw
For the Salmon Patties:
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon fillet, skin removed
- 20 saltine crackers
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chive
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- 1/2 cup sour cream for serving
- For the Salmon Burgers: Place the crackers in the food processor. Pulse until the crackers are broken into small crumbs. Dump the crumbs into a mixing bowl.
- Remove the skin from the salmon fillet and cut the meat into large chunks. Place the salmon chunks in the food processor. Pulse until the salmon resembles ground beef. Dump the salmon into the mixing bowl with the crackers. Then add the egg, fresh herbs, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne.
- Mix by hand until the mixture is smooth and even. Then form the mixture into four equal patties. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and shred with a cheese grater. (You can use your food processor for this as well. Just wash it really well after grinding the raw salmon, and use the shredding blade.) Immediately toss the shredded sweet potatoes with lemon juice so they don't brown.
- Mix the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and honey together until smooth. Toss the dressing into the sweet potato slaw and mix well. Then add the shredded onion and golden raisins. Toss well. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat. Add the olive oil. Once hot, sear the salmon patties for 5 minutes per side.
- Serve the patties with a side of sweet potato slaw and a dollop of sour cream. You can also serve both the salmon patties and the slaw on buns, burger-style!