Roasted Beet Chickpea Kale Salad
Roasted Beet Chickpea Kale Salad with Creamy Yogurt Herb Dressing: A bright flavorful power salad to keep you full and satisfied all day, with a great balance of healthy carbs and fiber, vegetarian protein, and vitamins.
Sunshine, cookouts, friends, music, beach, pool, bathing suits, fireflies, bonfires, and memories…
These are all words that come to mind when I think of summertime.
Have you ever wondered what summer might taste like?
This kale salad is the epitome of summer. Fresh, light, flavorful, and colorful!
The freshness of the mint and rosemary herbs paired with the yogurt, lemon, and honey will make your taste buds dance.
Roasted Beet Kale Salad Meal Prep
Getting together with friends during the summertime is one of our favorite things to do as a family. We also love to pick farm-fresh produce from the farmers market.
Combine these two summertime favorites and you have a great reason to make this yummy kale salad.
This Roasted Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad is vegetarian, gluten-free, and packed with goodness. You can also easily adjust it to meet the needs of your vegan friends, by using vegan yogurt and agave in the dressing.
Not only is it nutritious, but it also tastes great, with tons of crunch, and is a wonderful make-ahead meal.
You can make this kale salad with roasted beets, roasted sweet potatoes, and yogurt dressing as a meal prep recipe, because it will last in your refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Roasted Beet Chickpea Kale Salad Ingredients
- Beets – Crispy roasted beets are a great way to introduce beets to newbies. It gives them a tantalizing texture.
- Sweet potato – Don’t forget to cut them thin, so they get crispy around the edges.
- Extra virgin olive oil – To make the dressing extra silky.
- Kale – Can’t have kale salad without the kale!
- Chickpeas – Good source of vegetarian protein.
- Pistachios – To add color and a mild nutty flavor.
- Plain greek yogurt – Pairs nicely with the kale and makes the dressing creamy. You can substitute vegan nut yogurt for a vegan recipe.
- Lemon – To add a tangy note.
- Garlic – Who doesn’t love garlic?
- Fresh mint – To balance the lemon and garlic.
- Fresh rosemary – Pairs so well with the mint.
- Honey – Adds some sweetness. (Agave for vegan.)
- Salt & pepper – Always!
How To Make The Best Kale Salad
- Slice. Peel the beets and sweet potato. Cut them all in half, then slice the halves into thin 1/8th slices. Make sure they are all about the same width so they roast evenly.
- Roast. Toss the veggie slices with olive oil. Roast the beets and sweet potatoes in the oven until they are soft, but crispy around the edges.
- Puree. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, mint, rosemary, honey, olive oil and seasoning to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Toss. Add the chopped kale and chickpeas and roasted veggies to a large salad bowl. Then toss with the dressing to coat all the ingredients.
Get The Full (Printable) Roasted Beet Chickpea Kale Salad with Creamy Yogurt Herb Dressing Recipe Below
Crunchy Kale Salad FAQ
You sure can! Just use vegan nut-based yogurt instead of greek yogurt, and agave instead of honey.
For sure, but it won’t have the same heartiness as using kale. If you want it to last in the refrigerator, pick a green that holds its texture like mustard greens.
You can use both, or go with what’s available to you. Red beets add a nice colorful splash to this kale salad.
It should last up to 6 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
No, the kale is hearty so it doesn’t absorb the salad dressing like lettuce does. That’s what makes it a fabulous meal prep recipe!
More Brilliant Summer Salad Recipes
- Summer Cobb Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Watermelon Salad with Burrata and Yogurt
- Garlic Lime Roasted Shrimp Salad
- Fresh Basil Peach Salad
- Spicy Kani Salad
- Blackberry Honeydew Salad
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad
- 9 Layer Asian Salad
- See ALL Our Salad Recipes!
Roasted Beet Chickpea Kale Salad
- 4 large beets (I used 2 red and 2 gold)
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped (6 cups)
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 whole lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel the beets and sweet potato. Cut them all in half, lengthwise. Then slice the halves into thin 1/8th slices.
- Pile the slices on one baking sheet. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Toss them well to coat. Then spread the beets and sweet potato slices out in a single layer across two baking sheets. Salt and pepper generously.
- Roast the beets and sweet potatoes in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until soft, but crispy around the edges.
- Meanwhile, prep the chickpeas and pistachios.
- To a blender jar, add the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, mint, rosemary, honey, remaining tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and puree until smooth.
- Set out a large salad bowl. Add the chopped kale and chickpeas.
- Once the beets and sweet potatoes are out of the oven, allow them to cool for a few minutes. Then move them to the salad bowl.
- Pour ¾ of the dressing over the top of the salad and toss. Taste, and add more dressing if desired. Then toss in the chopped pistachios and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!