Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Salad
Summer of Salads continues with today’s Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Salad. It’s bright and beautiful with an array of flavor and texture.
This week’s summer salad is truly a favorite. Lines of boldly colored raw and roasted vegetables topped with a quick, and zesty, pesto vinaigrette. Imagine taking this to your next neighborhood potluck. You might actually have a salad on the table that will disappear as fast as the baked beans and potato casserole.
I love the combination of cool crispy raw veggies mixed with soft sweet roasted vegetables. This particular blend of roasted red and golden beets, roasted tomato slices, crunchy red cabbage, carrot ribbons, and cool silky avocado slices provided the perfect balance of sweet tangy flavors and crunch.
Although admittedly, the roasted vegetables need a bit of time in the oven, you can roast them several days in advance if desired to make the salad prep quick and easy when it’s time to serve the Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Salad.
Beets can be roasted on high heat. However, I find roasted tomatoes taste best when roasted for a longer amount of time at a lower temperature. Simply slice small tomatoes in round and lay out on baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then set the oven timer and go on your merry way.
After roasting the beets and tomatoes until soft and sweet, you can assemble the salad right away, or refrigerate until ready to use.
You can serve this Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Salad with any sort of salad dressing you like. However, a zippy pesto vinaigrette brings out the fresh garden appeal of the salad.
To make the Pesto Vinaigrette, simply whisk basil pesto, golden (or white) balsamic vinegar, and olive oil together, then season to taste.
It’s a fabulous go-to dressing that makes any salad shine!
Our Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Salad is a wonderful way to celebrate the season’s bounty. Serve with grilled chicken or steak and creamy deviled eggs.
Rainbow Roasted Vegetable Salad
For the Roasted Vegetable Salad:
- 2 pounds roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 beets 3 red and 3 gold
- 3 large carrots
- 1/4 whole red cabbage
- 2 avocados
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place the whole beets in a baking dish. Roast for 1 hour, until soft. Cool completely, then peel and slice into 1/8-inch rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Slice the tomatoes into 1/3-inch rounds and lay out on foil-lined rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper liberally. Place in the oven and roast for 75-90 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and wrinkled. (If you have 2 ovens, roast both the beets and the tomatoes at the same time.)
- Shave the carrots into thin ribbons with a veggie peeler and shave the red cabbage into a thin slaw. Peel and slice the avocados into thin pieces.
- Arrange all the vegetables into rows on a large platter. Then pour all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl and whisk. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the pesto vinaigrette over the roasted rainbow salad and serve immediately.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!