Pomegranate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies
Easy and delicious Pomegranate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle. These thumbprint cookies are perfect for any holiday celebration or cookie exchange, and they pack a punch of pink pomegranate flavor!
Your holiday cookie exchange is right around the corner. What eye-popping, jaw-dropping cookie recipe will you bestow on your friends and coworkers this year?
Can I make a suggestion??
Our pretty pink Pomegranate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle are my favorite cookie of the season.
The base of these Pomegranate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies, is light, buttery and chewy with a heavy dose of toasty coconut. The cookie dough is loaded with Land O Lakes® Salted Butter and shredded coconut, so they aren’t quite a coconut macaroon, and they aren’t quite a shortbread cookie.
Thumbprint cookies were always a staple around the holidays growing up, so every year I make a big buttery batch of thumbprint cookie dough and play with flavors.
The addition of coconut in these cookies is a nice touch, providing a chewy consistency and lots of textural appeal.
Not only is there coconut in the cookie dough…
I rolled the thumbprints in coconut as well, so the exterior of each cookie is toasted to perfection.
Once the cookies have baked and cooled, I make a simple creamy pomegranate filling to pipe into the center of each cookie.
The pink pomegranate filling dries enough to stay put, but stays soft and gooey in the center.
Aren’t they gorgeous? And they taste just as good.
You could stop here and serve your lovely little Pomegranate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies as-is.
Yet, if you are a chocolate lover…the next step is for you!
Yep, there we go.
A touch of chocolaty decadence.
Salty-sweet. Buttery. Coconut-y. And tangy, with a burst of pomegranate flavor.
These Pomegranate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate Drizzle will wow your loved ones this season…and will disappear in a flash!
If you love holiday cookie baking as much as I do, Join Ree, The Pioneer Woman, and Becky from the Land O’Lakes Test Kitchen for a Live Twitter Party Thursday, December 4 from 8-9 pm EST.
We’ll be talking about our favorite holiday recipes and tips for making it a delicious holiday season.
How to join the fun
Participants will have a chance to win a holiday baking prize pack from Land O’Lakes, which included a signed copy of Ree Drummond’s cookbook, “A Year of Holidays” and a year’s supply of Land O Lakes® Butter. Use the hashtag #CookieChatter in your tweets for a chance to win! (Go to landolakes.com for the giveaway details.)
To join the conversation, log into Twitter on Thursday, December 4 from 8 to 9 p.m. EST.
- Follow @LandOLakesKtchn and @ThePioneerWoman
- Search for the hashtag #CookieChatter.
- Jump right in the conversation! Include #CookieChatter in your tweets so other people can see them, too.
- Keep an eye out for tweets from special guests @TwoPeasandPod, @spicyperspectiv, @thelittlekitchn @farmgirlsdabble, @thenovicechef, @pickypalate, @bakeat350tweets @fifteenspatulas and @dairygoodlife
Pomegranate Coconut Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup Land O Lakes® Salted Butter softened (2 sticks)
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop red food coloring optional
- 6 ounces semisweet baking chocolate chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place the Land O Lakes® Salted Butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and add the sugar. Beat on high (cream) until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Turn the mixer on low, then slowly add the flour until fully incorporated. Scrape the bowl, then mix in 2 cups of shredded coconut. The dough will look crumbly.
- Roll the dough into 1 ounce (about 1-inch) balls. Use your thumb to press a deep crevice in the center of each ball, and pinch any cracks on the sides back together. In a small bowl whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water to make egg wash, then place the remaining coconut in a separate bowl. Dip each cookie into the egg wash then roll in the shredded coconut to coat the sides. Place 1 1/2-inches apart on a baking sheet. Repeat.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 15 minutes, until they are puffy and the coconut is toasted. Cool on the cookies sheets. Meanwhile, place the softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat until soft and fluffy then slowly incorporate the pomegranate juice. Scrape the bowl and beat again until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add 1 drop of red food coloring if desired and mix well.
- Once the cookies have cooled, scoop the pomegranate filling into a plastic bag. Cut one corner off and pipe the filling into the center of each cookie. Allow the cookies to set until the pomegranate filling has developed a coating. Then melt the chocolate over a double boiler and scoop into another plastic bag. Cut a small section of the corner off and drizzle the chocolate over the cookies, if desired. Allow the chocolate to set before moving.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: A Spicy Perspective has partnered with Land O’Lakes for an exclusive endorsement of Land O Lakes® Butter for their Kitchen Conversations blogger program. This blog post is sponsored by Land O’Lakes.
Pingback: Lemon Drop Thumbprint Cookies - A Spicy Perspective
These are adorable and look delicious too!
Can’t wait to try this flavor combo! They’re so pretty, Sommer!
Sommer, these look amazing!! I want three right now!
These cookies are so pretty!!!
These are so lovely, Sommer. Fun and pretty, and COCONUT!
These are definitely eye catching! Love that it something a little different, too :)
Thumbprint cookies are so fun! I love that you used pomegranate in them.
I never would have thought to put pomegranate in cookies! These are so fun for the holidays. Love the coconut and chocolate drizzle too!
what a delicious flavor combination!
Cookies!!!!! I love to make them, give them away AND eat them. Thumb prints are so fun because you can do so much with them.
Wow these are are so creative!! Beautiful cookies!
I’ll never say no to a cookie, especially on a Monday!!
Super fun giveaway & I love these cookies!
I can just taste this already!! I’m obsessed with anything coconut!
BEAUTIFUl cookies Sommer! love that pomegranate!
I literally just said “HOLY CRAP, those are SO pretty!” at my screen. Sommer, these cookies are GORGEOUS…and I love that you used pomegranate in the center…genius! Pinned!
These look super yummy. Must try!