Pineapple Chorizo Burgers
Zesty Pineapple Chorizo Burgers, great on the grill all year long!
I used to dream of white Christmases, snowy winters, sledding, skiing, and snow angels.
Growing up in Oklahoma, we were lucky to get a couple inches of slushy snow a year. Just enough to run out and erect a tiny and dingy snowman before it melted away in the 70 degree weather the following day.
Snow was something to look forward to.
However, in the mountains of North Carolina there are years we are covered in snow.
Several years ago we had 2 1/2 months of consistent snowfall. The first week was great… The kids missed a couple days of school. We walked down the street to a park with a steep bank and sledded to our heart’s content. But then after weeks of bone-chilling temperatures, weeks of dreary endless gray skies, and of murky layers of frozen slush.
We were over the snow.
Sunshine is important. Humans need it.
I’m a firm believer in the idea that changes in the barometric pressure and lack of sunshine can influence your mood. For someone who is usually light-hearted and loves to laugh, the years we are buried in snow I feel trapped, lethargic, and just plain grouchy.
During the snowy months, I’m in desperate need of some vitamin D and an attitude check. Usually I start doing things to lighten our spirits…
1. Look at photos of how happy we are playing in the snow.
2.Listen to “summertime” music.
3. Cook “summery” meals.
4. Pray for spring.
Then I grill… Even in the depths of winter. I huddle outside in the snow with a spatula, in hopes of lifting our morale.
Today’s Pineapple Chorizo Burgers is a recipe I grill all year long.
I make it in the winter to lighten our moral, and I make it in the summer when we can sit out on the deck and enjoy the sunshine.
It’s especially great this time of year when pineapples are ripe.
The kick of chorizo and pico de gallo, combined with grilled sweet pineapples will bring joy to your tastebuds, and warm your soul.
Pineapple Chorizo Burgers are a unique option for summer barbecues and neighborhood potlucks. Sometimes I make mini Pineapple Chorizo Burgers as sliders on dinner rolls.
Pineapple Chorizo Burgers
- Preheat the grill to high heat. In a large bowl, combine the chorizo, pork, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme and oregano. Work the chorizo-pork mixture through.
- Divide the mixture into 6 portions, then shape them into patties. Carefully slice the pineapple into 1/2 inch rounds. Remove the avocado from the peel, then slice 1/4 inch thick.
- Grill the patties 3 minutes per side. Next, grill the pineapple slices for 2 minutes per side. Toast the buns on the grill for 1 minute.
- To assemble: place the patty on the bottom bun, followed by the pineapple, avocado slices, and the salsa on top. Cover with the bun and enjoy!