Perky English Pea Salad
Perky English Pea Salad Recipe – A classic southern salad that is refreshingly cold and loaded with peas, pimentos, cheese, and lots of crunchy produce. This healthy version of green pea salad is vegetarian-friendly, with a light and creamy dressing.
If you’ve been to a potluck in the south, you’ve likely had pea salad at some point. Loaded with tender green peas, shredded cheese, pimentos, and a creamy dressing, this chilled dish is a classic staple in the spring and summer.
Today we are sharing with you a slightly lighter and healthier English Pea Salad Recipe. It’s made with a low-fat dressing and is vegetarian-friendly, but still includes lots of flavorful salad goodies you love!
Perky and Healthy English Pea Salad
Along with peas, pimentos, and cheese, a standard Pea Salad also tends to include a rich mayo-based dressing and chopped bacon. For this healthier version we’ve cut out the bacon, cut back on the cheese, and used a low-fat mayo to make the dressing. The salad still includes peas and pimentos, of course, plus lots of fresh and crunchy veggies (and apples) for great texture and taste.
Our vegetarian Green Pea Salad is great to make-ahead for spring and summer gatherings. Give it a try for your next potluck, picnic, or barbecue – it’s sure to be a big hit!
Ingredients You Need
For the base of this Pea Salad recipe you need:
- Frozen English peas – thawed
- Diced pimentos – drained
- Pepper jack cheese – shredded (can also use Colby cheese)
- Carrots – shredded
- Firm apple – diced
- Red onion – diced
To make the creamy, tangy dressing you need:
- Mayonnaise – low fat for a healthier green pea salad
- Apple cider vinegar – healthy and tasty!
- Honey – or agave
- Garlic powder – for a great earthy flavor
- Salt and pepper – to taste
Although we chose to make this a vegetarian dish, feel free to add crumbled cooked bacon or chopped cooked ham if you like!
How to Make This Healthy Pea Salad Recipe
This no-cook dish is super easy to prepare in just about 15 minutes. You can serve it right away or chill in the fridge for a refreshing make-ahead dish!
To make the salad, first set out a large salad bowl. Pour in the frozen peas (make sure there are no chunk of ice) and allow them to thaw as you prep the rest of the ingredients: Shred the cheese and carrots. Dice the apples and red onion.
Then add the pimentos, shredded cheese, and all of the fresh produce into the mixing bowl.
Now make the salad dressing in a separate bowl or measuring cup. Add the mayo, vinegar, honey, and garlic powder, and whisk until smooth. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed. I personally like my Peas Salad recipe with about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
Then pour the dressing into the salad bowl.
Get the Complete (Printable) Perky English Pea Salad Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Use a spoon to gently toss and coat the salad in the dressing. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
This Healthy Pea Salad recipe is great for making ahead, and tastes even better as it sits and gets chilled.
Keep stored in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days if vegetarian. However, if you do decide to include cooked bacon or ham I suggest you enjoy the salad within 3 days.
What to Serve with Healthy Green Pea Salad
Refreshing, tender and crunchy Pea Salad is perfect to serve at potlucks and picnics alongside any number of your favorite southern-inspired dishes.
We love to enjoy scoops of salad with Famous Corn Pudding, Pimento Cheese Deviled Eggs, Southern Tomato Pie, or Jalapeno Hushpuppies for some spicy pep.
Or pair with just about any vegetarian or non-vegetarian main dish for a complete meal! It’s delicious with Grilled Vegetables, Coca-Cola Baked Ham, Fried Chicken, or Slow Cooker Smoked Pulled Pork!
Looking for More Satisfying Salad Recipes?
- The Best Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Edamame Salad with White Beans and Bacon
- How to Make the Best Potato Salad Recipe
- The Best Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Market Bean Salad Recipe
Perky English Pea Salad Recipe
For the Pea Salad –
- 20 ounces frozen English peas thawed
- 4 ounces diced pimentos drained
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese or Colby
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup diced apple (pick a firm variety)
- ¼ cup diced red onion
For the Dressing –
- ½ cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Set out a large salad bowl. Pour in the frozen peas. Allow them to thaw as you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Shred the cheese and carrots. Dice the apples and red onion. Place the pimentos, shredded cheese, and all fresh produce in the mixing bowl.
- Set out a separate bowl or measuring pitcher to mix the dressing. Add the mayo, vinegar, honey, and garlic powder to the bowl. Whisk until smooth. Then taste and add salt and pepper as needed. (I added about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.)
- Pour the dressing into the salad bowl. Gently toss to coat the pea salad in dressing. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
What a perfect recipe to share with the family at our next bbq, yum!
I fell in love with pea salad as a kid. I can’t wait to try yours this Sunday with my family! Thanks for another great recipe!
This pea salad is one of the best that I have tasted! The slight crunch from the peas, to the flavor of the dressing, this salad will be a staple for this spring