Plan the Perfect Picnic this year for Earth Day with easy Goat Cheese Walnut Berry Bites.
Planning the perfect picnic does not have to be difficult if you stick with low-maintenance dishes with few ingredients. Plus low-maintenance often means earth-friendly. Earth Day is just a week away; how about celebrating this year with a picnic!
The Nature Conservancy hosts an annual celebration for Earth Day each year. Picnic for the Planet is a growing endeavor with 61 countries represented last year alone. It’s a strong reminder that we rely so heavily on the Earth for resources, it’s important to give back.
You can be a part of Picnic for the Planet by attending or hosting a picnic on April 22nd. Click here to find out more.
Here are some ideas to make your picnic a little GREENER:
- Use thermoses instead of individually bottled beverages.
- Pack reusable plates, utensils and cloth napkins from home–classy and earth-friendly.
- Serve foods that are seasonal, sustainable, and/or raw. Less cooking = less energy used.
- Walk or bike to your picnic location.
- Recycle or compost any waste.
- Use natural insect repellent. It’s better for your skin and the environment.
Goat Cheese Walnut Berry Bites are a sublime snack to serve at a spring cocktail party or pack for a picnic. Load your basket with English-style biscuits, fresh local berries, toasted walnuts, creamy local goat cheese, honey and a spreading knife. Then let the picnic-ers serve themselves. These are a wonderful compliment to a thermos of your favorite spring beverage.
Other items to add to your picnic basket:
- Creamy Red Pepper Spread
- Roasted Veggie Flat Bread
- Tabouli With Feta and Endive
- Fresh Peach and Basil Salad
- Chocolate Malt Brownie Parfaits in a Jar
Goat Cheese Walnut Berry Bites
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
- 1 package English-style biscuits (or Carr’s Whole Wheat Crackers)
- 6 ounces local goat cheese
- 1 pint fresh local berries
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- honey for drizzling
- Spread the goat cheese over each cracker and sprinkle with berries and walnuts.
- Drizzle with honey.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!