Paleo Frozen Hot Chocolate Pops
I’ve got a special treat for you today. Silky, chocolaty, Paleo Frozen Hot Chocolate Pops. This is a “whole food” dessert you can enjoy guilt-free!
The one wintery thing I miss this time of year is a mug of creamy hot chocolate.
Oh sure, I could make myself a cup of steaming cocoa any time of year. However two sips in, and I’m sweaty and irritated I wasted my time… and my chocolate.
In the spring and summer, instead of making warm beverages, I focus my energy on making frozen treats to cool us off after a day in the sun. But who says my frozen desserts can’t be reminiscent of hot chocolate?
Today’s Paleo “Frozen Hot Chocolate” Pops are rich and decadent, yet much healthier than you might think.
The base of the frozen hot chocolate is made with creamy coconut milk, unsweetened cocoa powder and Wholesome!™ Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, so they fit within the Paleo Diet (dairy free, grain free, and organic.)
Using Wholesome!™ sweeteners instead of conventional sweeteners, like processed white sugar, means the sweeteners are cleaner, healthier, and void of harsh chemicals and pesticides.
I combined the coconut milk, cocoa powder, Wholesome!™ Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, and gluten free vanilla extract in a saucepot. Then brought them to a simmer so the sugar could dissolve.
The mixture comes together into a smooth and creamy hot chocolate that can be easily poured into popsicles molds.
You can freeze the Paleo Frozen Hot Chocolate Pops as-is, or add an additional layer to truly capture the essence of hot chocolate… Paleo Marshmallows.
For this additional layer, I used pure protein gelatin and sweet golden Wholesome!™ Organic Honey to make a simple pillowy homemade paleo marshmallow recipe that is so easy, you won’t believe it.
Simply mix the gelatin with water to dissolve.
Then bring the honey and water to a boil, and boil until it reaches 240 degrees F.
Beat the hot honey mixture with the gelatin, until a smooth frothy marshmallow cream forms.
Scoop the marshmallow cream over the frozen hot chocolate mixture, insert popsicles sticks and freeze. What you end up with is a swoon-worthy, yet health conscious treat your whole family will love!
Paleo Frozen Hot Chocolate Pops make the most of clean mindful Wholesome!™ sweeteners, and paleo-friendly ingredients. No matter how strict your diet is this summer, you can still treat yourself a little!
There are so many fabulous Wholesome!™ Sweeteners to enjoy. From Organic Cane Sugar to Stevia and Molasses, Wholesome!™ makes a clean, non-gmo, fair trade sweetener to suite any fancy. And make sure to look for the new logo!
You may recognize Wholesome!™ from their old logo with the world (on the left) but watch your grocery shelves for the newly designed packaging with the heart (on the right) that captures the spirit of Wholesome!™… Adding a little love to your family recipes, one spoonful at a time.
Paleo Frozen Hot Chocolate Pops
For the Paleo Frozen Hot Chocolate Pops:
- Pour or scoop the coconut milk into a saucepot. Place over medium heat. Add the Wholesome!™ Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt. Stir and bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Whisk until completely smooth. Remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes. Spray the popsicle molds with coconut oil. Then pour the mixture into the popsicle molds, 3/4 full, and place in the freezer.
- Then start the paleo marshmallows. Pour 1/4 cup of water in a large bowl. Stir in the gelatin and set aside. Pour the remaining 1/4 of cup water in a large stockpot with the honey, vanilla and salt. Bring the honey mixture to a boil, then insert a candy thermometer and boil until the mixture reaches "soft ball" state at 240 degrees F.
- Pour the hot honey mixture over the gelatin and whip with a hand mixer or immersion blend until light and fluffy. It should look like meringue. Then remove the popsicles molds from the freezer and scoop the marshmallow topping into each mold. Press a popsicle stick down in the center of each popsicle, making sure it is mostly in the chocolate layer, then place back in the freezer. Freeze until solid.
- To unmold: Flip the popsicle mold over and run warm water over casings for 30-60 seconds. Gently pull each popsicle out and enjoy!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Wholesome!™ . All opinions are my own.