Creamy comforting One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole. This family meal can be made on the stovetop alone, or popped in the oven for a crispy top!
It’s that time of year…
The kids are back in school, or they will be shortly. Summer seems to be coming to an end. Vacation time is over.
All the summer salads and grilled dishes we so dearly love are growing old. (Is that even possible?!)
We crave comfort food, and lots of it.
It’s time for pasta dishes, casseroles, and quick cozy mid-week meals we can throw together after a long day at work or school.
Isn’t it great that some recipe cover all three categories?
Today’s easy One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole offers all the coziness of chicken noodle soup, yet with a rich creamy cheese sauce.
It can be made completely on the stovetop in less than 30 minutes.
Or if you like a crunchy “casserole top” you can sprinkle breadcrumbs over the pasta and bake it for a few minutes.
If you happen to have a large oven-safe saute pan it’s a true one-pot dinner. However you can easily pour the pasta into a baking dish before you pop it in the oven.
One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole it a big hit at our house. If I’m in a hurry I make the stovetop version and serve it loose and saucy.
On nights I have a few more minutes, I take the time to bake it so the breadcrumbs and top layer of noodles offer a little crunch.
Either way, One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole is completely divine!
One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:20 - 45 minutes
Creamy One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole, a comforting meal for the whole family! Chicken, veggies, and egg noodles are bathed in a cheesy cream sauce and baked.
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups frozen english peas
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, optional
- Place the butter in the large oven safe saute pan and set over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, celery, and carrots. Saute for 5-8 minutes to soften.
- Meanwhile chop the chicken breasts into small bite-size pieces. Once the veggies are softened, add the chicken, salt and thyme. Saute another 5 minutes to cook the chicken pieces partially through.
- Add the broth and pasta. Stir to soak the pasta. Cover the pan and simmer for 6-7 minutes to cook the pasta through. Then remove the lid and stir in the frozen peas, shredded cheese, and cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or bake!
- This step is entirely optional: Preheat the oven to to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the pasta. Bake for 15-20 minutes to develop a crusty top. You can transfer the pasta to a separate baking dish if you don’t have an oven-safe saute pan.
Yield: 8-10 servings, Serving Size: 10
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 446 Calories
- Total Fat: 19.2g
- Saturated Fat: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 128mg
- Sodium: 765mg
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Protein: 34g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!