One-Pot American Goulash
The Best Beef Goulash Recipe – Savory American goulash is a classic one-pot dish that everyone loves! It’s made with a hearty tomato sauce, macaroni, and shredded cheese, and is ready to enjoy in just over 30 minutes.
Easy American Beef Goulash
When you think of your favorite comfort foods that you could eat again and again, recipes with some kind of tender beef simmered in a rich and flavorful sauce is probably on the list. And if you’re like anyone in our family, savory beef dishes are definitely in the top 5.
Hearty goulash recipes are perfect for satisfying those cravings for something cozy, warm, and rustic. The term “goulash” typically refers to a simmered soup or stew that includes meat, some kind of vegetable(s), and paprika seasonings. We have a classic stew-like Hungarian Goulash recipe on the site, made with potatoes and peppers in a smoky broth. It’s wonderfully delicious, but does take a couple of hours to properly cook.
So today we’re sharing this quick and easy American Beef Goulash version. But while it has a similar name, it’s nothing like classic European goulash… Instead, it’s more like Homemade Hamburger Helper with a heavier tomato sauce and cheese. Don’t let this detour you, it’s a real crowd-pleaser and popular with the neighborhood kids!
Cheesy beef goulash is a one-pot wonder that’s ready to serve in just over 30 minutes for a nearly last-minute weeknight meal. This recipe is also super simple to customize with different proteins and gluten-free pasta. Prepare to your tastes and get ready to put this at the tippy-top of your must-have comfort food dishes!
Ingredients You Need
- Oil – preferred high-heat neutral-flavored oil
- Onion – peeled and chopped
- Bell pepper – seeded and chopped
- Garlic – minced
- Ground beef – or other protein of choice
- Tomato sauce – canned
- Diced tomato – canned, with the juices
- Italian seasoning – store bought or homemade Italian seasoning
- Beef base – or bouillon
- Dried macaroni noodles – or other small pasta
- Sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
- Hot sauce – optional
- Chopped cilantro or parsley – optional garnish
How to Make American Goulash
First, a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
Add the ground beef. Stir and brown for 5-8 minutes.
Then add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.
Then add the beef base and macaroni noodles. Use the tomato can to add 15 ounces of water to the pot.
Stir well. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 7-9 minutes until the pasta is just cooked through, al dente.
Stir in the shredded cheese and hot sauce (if using).
Get the Complete (Printable) American Goulash Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Taste, then season with salt and pepper if desired.
Add chopped cilantro or parsley right to the pot, or serve on the side to let everyone garnish their own bowl.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use your favorite GF-friendly macaroni noodles to easily make this a gluten-free dish.
This recipe is delicious with ground chicken or ground turkey. Or feel free to use your favorite plant-based ground meat alternative!
Leftovers will keep well for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Let the dish cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. The flavors get better and better as they sit together, so this recipe is great to make ahead as part of your weekly meal prep!
Looking for More Easy and Delicious One-Pot Dinner Recipes?
- One-Pot Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta (One-Pot!)
- One-Pot Spinach Ricotta Pasta
- Creamy Skillet Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms
- One-Pot Sloppy Joe Noodle Skillet
One-Pot American Goulash Recipe + VIDEO
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 28 ounce tomato sauce
- 15 ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon beef base or bouillon
- 2 cups dried macaroni noodles
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce optional
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Set a large saucepot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Add the ground beef. Stir and brown for 5-8 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, beef base, and macaroni noodles. Use the tomato can to add 15 ounces of water to the pot.
- Stir well. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 7-9 minutes until the pasta is just cooked through, al dente.
- Stir in the cheese and hot sauce. Taste, then season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm with a sprinkling of parsley or cilantro.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!