Mint Julep Recipe
How To Make A Mint Julep Recipe – This is a refreshing cocktail to mix, serve, and sip to celebrate the warm weather.
Mint Julep Cocktail
Lt. Dan is popping in today to share a refreshing cocktail with you…
Mrs. Spicy has finally let me take on a blog post that is a little different from what you are used to here on A Spicy Perspective.
I will be sharing random thoughts, but focused mostly on stuff for guys. Expect to see killer cocktail recipes, some of my favorite restaurants and bars, features on many of my favorite “guy items”.
Ladies, hopefully you will get some great man-gift ideas, places to send or go with your man, cocktails to enjoy with your man, and witty commentary.
Men, we want you to feel welcome here. ASP is for all of us.
One of our good friends works with a company that you are familiar with as a reader of A Spicy Perspective – Barn Light Electric Company. If you recall, Barn Light is the company that we chose to replace all of the lighting in our kitchen remodel.
This friend, who knows my affection for interesting cocktail receptacles, recently introduced me to a new product being offered by Barn Light. These retro Moscow Mule Copper Cocktail Cups are super cool. Immediately after seeing them, I asked when could I have a few to start making cocktails!
After getting my set, I began trying concoctions out… Not only do they hold your favorite beverage, but they look amazing.
These cups (and bowls) are made here in the USA out of solid copper.
So, upon trying several cocktails (including Moscow Mules), I knew the right one to feature these gorgeous cups would be a classic Mint Julep recipe.
What could be better than the simple mixture of fresh mint, sugar and quality bourbon?! Now I understand you have probably been to a Derby party and had some version of a Mint Julep recipe. I bet you have even had one with some type of green colored mint liqueur and powdered sugar.
No offense, but these cups are better than that. Frankly, YOU’RE better than that!
A Mint Julep recipe should be all about the bourbon, with a hint of fresh mint and concentrated simple syrup (I like demerara or turbinado sugar – 2 parts sugar to 1 part water). So this recipe (courtesy of my buddy Jon) is a classic that after a few will have you wanting to throw a few Benjamin’s down on the horse in lane 6!
Mint Julep Ingredients
- Fresh Mint Leaves – Brings in a pop of fresh cool herbaceous flavor
- Concentrated Simple Syrup – Sweetens the cocktail
- High Proof Bourbon – I prefer 4 Roses or Bulleit
- Shaved Ice – To chill your drink
- Mint Leaves – for garnish
How to Make a Mint Julep
This cocktail recipe is really as easy as counting to 3:
- Put the mint leaves in a cocktail glass and add in the simple syrup. Lightly muddle the mint leaves and syrup, making sure to not crush the leaves too much.
- Add the bourbon and then the ice to the glass and use a bar spoon to lightly stir in the mixture to the ice.
- Garnish with some mint leaves and enjoy!
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Mint Julep Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What does it mean to muddle the mint leaves?
The word muddle comes from the action of pressing the ingredients against the side of a glass with a muddler. It releases the flavor into the beverage.
What kind of mint is used for a mint julep?
The typical garden mint leaf is usually peppermint or spearmint, but you can also try other types of mint leaves if you are adventurous enough to test them out!
How do I choose the best bourbon?
This cocktail does best with a bourbon that has more of a kick to it, to balance out the mint and simple syrup. Because this is a bourbon-forward cocktail, select a bourbon you could sip on its own, not a cheaper bottle that might be used for cooking or fruity mixed drinks. Also many people and bartenders say the best bourbons have been aged for at least 4 years.
Where Do I Find Shaved Ice?
If you do not have a shaved ice machine, or an ice maker that crushes ice, you can either buy small “soda fountain” ice from a local fast food restaurant or market, or place larger ice cubes in a zip bag and crush with a hammer.
Other Great Cocktail Recipes
- Perfect Manhattan Cocktail Recipe
- Perfect Mojito Pitcher Recipe
- Holiday Champagne Punch Recipe
- How to Make Simple Syrup Recipe
- Bonita Apple Cocktail (Apple Butter Rum Recipe)
- Best Red Wine Sangria Recipe
- The Best Pina Colada Mix Recipe
Mint Julep Recipe
- 5 – 6 fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 ounce concentrated simple syrup
- 2 ounces high proof bourbon I prefer 4 Roses or Bulleit
- Shaved ice
- Mint leaf for garnish
- Put mint leaves in bottom of copper cups and add simple syrup. Lightly muddle the simple syrup and mint. (Do not crush, just cover mint leaves with syrup and allow essence of mint to mix).
- Add bourbon, then ice. Use a bar spoon to lightly stir the mixture into ice. Garnish top with mint leaves.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: Barn Light Electric provided the cups for this post. All opinions are our own.