A cozy party snack for the holidays and upcoming game days, our Mini Spinach Ricotta Calzone Recipe.
We’re busy wrapping gifts and baking cookies this week. How about you?
It’s easy to focus on cookies and fudge this month, and forget about the savory stuff. Yet man cannot live on cookies alone…
We need cheese as well.
This simple yet show-stopping Mini Spinach Ricotta Calzone Recipe is a wonderful snack to make this week when the family members start showing up on your doorstep.
Filled with fresh ricotta cheese, chopped spinach, mozzarella, and spices, each bite is a comforting mouthful of cheesy euphoria.
This Mini Spinach Ricotta Calzone Recipe is quick to put together, and fun to make if you’ve got little helpers lingering around the kitchen.
Using frozen yeast roll dough balls and frozen ricotta, you can keep the ingredients on hand through the holidays and well into Super Bowl season for an impressive impromptu appetizer.
No big parties in the near future? That’s ok too. My kids like to eat these for dinner, and take the leftovers to school in their lunch boxes.
Our Mini Spinach Ricotta Calzone Recipe makes the perfect hand-held size for little people and grownups alike!
Mini Spinach Ricotta Calzone Recipe
Yield: 20 mini calzones
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 20 frozen roll dough balls, thawed
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Marinara for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place the thawed spinach in a sieve, over the sink, and press firmly to remove as much moisture as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, spinach, 1 egg, shredded, mozzarella, spices, and salt together until well combined. In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water.
- One at a time press each dough ball in the palm of your hand until flat and stretch into an 4 inch circle. Scoop 2-3 tablespoons of ricotta mixture into the center of the dough. Then brush the edges with egg wash. Fold the dough over the ricotta filling and press the edges together in the shape of semi-circle. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal the fold. Set on the baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- With the remaining egg wash, brush the tops and sides of all the mini calzones. Then use a small pairing knife to cut a vent in the top of each one, to allow steam to escape. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature, with a side of marinara for dipping.
Yield: 20 mini calzones, Serving Size: 20
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 216 Calories
- Total Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Sodium: 463mg
- Carbohydrates: 27.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sugar: 0.3g
- Protein: 7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!