Milk and Cereal Smoothie
Breakfast on the go, the Milk and Cereal Smoothie. For the kid in all of us!
Why do I always feel guilty when I open a box of junky cereal?
Probably because I know I’m going to fill up on sugar and empty carbs, with a splash of milk. I can’t possibly stay focused throughout the morning after a breakfast like that, and I know my kids can’t either.
Yet what if we flipped the proportions on the daily milk and cereal combo?
Today I’m sharing a new creation, the Milk and Cereal Smoothie, inspired by a recent talk with Holly Grainger, a nationally recognized registered dietitian that has a lot to say about dairy.
Holly spoke with a group of moms and recipe developers recently reminding us to keep on drinking our milk. She feels the that some people have been introduced to some inaccurate information about dairy. Holly stated these “opinions” are not science-based and wanted to set the record straight.
One look at the nutritional label on a carton of milk and you can see the facts clearly. Milk only containers 3 simple ingredients: milk, vitamin A and vitamin D. It’s not a beverage made up of all sorts of fillers and chemicals. It is naturally nutrient-packed!
Here are a few things I learned (or was reminded of) from Holly.
5 Things You Might Not Know About Milk
- Milk provides 9 essential nutrients. No other beverage compares to an eight ounce nutrient-packed glass of milk. Furthermore, milk is the single best food source of Calcium, Vitamin D and Potassium in the American diet. No other food contains more of these three vital nutrients per serving.
- The health benefits of drinking milk are backed by decades of research, along with both the nutrition and science communities as a whole, including many leading health organizations like the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Osteoporosis Foundation.
- Milk is one of the original Farm-to-Table foods. 97% of dairy farms are still family owned and operated, and passed down from generation to generation.
- Research shows that eating protein at breakfast helps keep you full and focused throughout the day. Since kids (and some grownups) area often eating breakfast on the run, adding a glass of milk is the easiest way to get your morning protein. Just one eight-ounce glass of milk contains eight grams of high quality protein.
- In the United States all milk is safe, wholesome and nutrient-rich. If you’re concerned about hormones, there are many milk choices, both conventional and organic, from cows that are not treated with any growth hormones. Just check the label. Since milk is highly regulated, you can feel good about its safety.
This easy Milk and Cereal Smoothie is a great way to get some of your morning protein from milk and yogurt, while satisfying that urge for a bowl of sugary cereal.
I’ve reduced the amount of cereal you might eat in a single bowl to just a handful per Milk and Cereal Smoothie. That way, you can enjoy a healthier cereal like light granola…. or add a handful of your favorite childhood cereal, without the sugar crash afterward.
My kids love the taste and texture of the Milk and Cereal Smoothie. I love knowing they are getting all the health benefits from a daily dose of milk!
To find more information about milk visit MilkTruth.com. Also visit MilkLife on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Milk and Cereal Smoothie
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt plain or flavored
- 1-2 tablespoons honey 1 for flavored yogurt, 2 for plain
- 1/2 cup cereal of choice
- 1 cup ice
- Place all ingredients in the blender. Cover and puree until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into one large glass or two small glasses. Garnish with extra cereal.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by MilkLife. As always, we only work with companies we love and all opinions are our own.
Pingback: Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats - Foodtastic Mom
Pingback: Fun and Healthy Smoothies for Kids of All Kinds - VeggieShake
Pingback: Delicious Ways in Which You Can Use Leftover Cereal - Fulfilme.com
Pingback: 15 Dessert Recipes to Use Up Your Leftover Cereal
Such a fun way to drink your milk!
I love this idea! We add oatmeal to our smoothies all the time but this is way more fun!
I would totally drink this for breakfast, haha
My kids would definitely think I was the coolest mom ever if I made this for them!
How delicious! You can’t go wrong with this!
sweet healthy drink, it is perfect for a family breakfast
One word….Genius!!! I am so making this for my little bro who is a smoothie fanatic!