Fluffy Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Hash Brown Top – An irresistible Hash Brown Casserole with a golden crusty potato crust and tender layers of eggs, cheese, tortilla, peppers and chiles.
If you’re bored of the same ol’ breakfast every morning, I feel your pain. Protein shakes, cereal, and oatmeal get old after a while.
Lately, I wake up in the morning hankering for something slightly out of the norm.
If I think about what I’m craving long enough several things repeatedly come to mind… Eggs, hot cheesy goodness, spice, and a soft-crispy textural balance. That is a combination I could never get tired of.
So after fantasizing over the perfect breakfast for days and days, I finally have a recipe to share that fits the bill.
Today’s savory Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Crispy Hash Brown Top is a morning breakfast bake I can’t seem to get enough of, and neither can anyone else who’s tried it. Fluffy eggs and tortillas, molten cheese, red peppers, green chiles, and a crispy golden crust that rivals the brilliance of the rising sun.
This is a breakfast worth getting up for in the morning.
My Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Hash Brown Top starts with a simple mixture of eggs, cheese, and chopped flour tortillas.
Then I added onions, red bell pepper, and spicy Old El Paso Green Chiles for flavor. The chiles give the breakfast casserole spicy Mexican appeal, while the tortillas absorb some of the moisture and help the casserole puff up in the oven.
Mixing tender Old El Paso Flour Tortillas into the the mixture also serves another purpose. It gives the egg mixture stability, so it can hold up the amazing golden hash brown crust!
For the Hash Brown Top, I combined thawed hash brown potatoes with Old El Paso Taco Seasoning and melted butter. The taco seasoning coats the shredded potato giving it zesty flavor and color. While the butter ensures the topping crisps in the oven.
Just look at that crusty potato top!
Every time I pull this easy Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Crispy Hash Brown Top out of the oven, big smiles follow.
It’s soft and fluffy with a crusty top that will keep you coming back for more.
Our Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Crispy Hash Brown Top is a fabulous breakfast idea for holidays and family reunions. It makes twelve hearty servings you can dish out all at once, or wrap and serve each piece individually, all week long.
Mexican Breakfast Casserole with Hash Brown Top
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:55 minutes
- 16 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 large Old El Paso Flour Tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4.5 ounce can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cup shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 packet Old El Paso Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup crema (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a large 9 X 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut the tortillas in to 1/2 inch by 1 inch strips. Whisk the eggs thoroughly in a large bowl. Then mix in the shredded cheese, chopped bell pepper, chiles, 1 cup chopped green onions, salt and tortillas. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix the shredded potato with the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning. Then drizzle the butter over the top of the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the shredded potatoes over the egg mixture in an even layer. Then place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until the center is puffed up and the hash brown top is crispy. Serve warm, drizzled with crema and sprinkled with green onions.
Yield: 12 servings, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 353 Calories
- Total Fat: 22.4g
- Saturated Fat: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 268mg
- Sodium: 804mg
- Carbohydrates: 30.5g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Protein: 13.4g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All opinions are my own.