Low Carb Bell Pepper Sandwich
How to Make a Bell Pepper Sandwich – Crunchy bell peppers are a delicious gluten-free bread substitute! Load them with cheeses, deli slices, bacon, and veggies for the ultimate keto and low-carb sandwiches.
There is no denying that low-carb diets tend to be a healthier option. But just because you are skipping gluten and carb-heavy foods doesn’t mean you need to deny yourself the yumminess of a great sandwich!
Thankfully we live in a time when clever folks have come up with all kinds of traditional bread substitutes. From lettuce tortillas to bacon wraps, there are seemingly endless ways to get the meats and cheeses you need in a handheld sandwich-style meal.
These keto bell pepper sandwiches are sure to satisfy even the biggest craving for carbs. Not only are peppers fabulous for imitating the functionality of bread, you also get that crunchiness that makes a sandwich as texturally pleasing as it is tasty!
Easy Low Carb Keto Sandwich Recipe
This no-cook keto-friendly recipe could not be any easier. Simply hollow out sweet and crunchy bell peppers, stuff with a delicious cream cheese and mustard mixture, and load on your choice of meats and fresh veggies. In mere minutes you are munching on hearty, healthy, and oh-so satisfying sandwiches… No bread needed!
It’s easy to customize ingredients to make your favorite sammy, so let your imagination run free. We love to set out all kinds of goodies and let each person put together the low-carb sandwich of their gluten-free dreams. :)
Get started with our guide here, then go crazy (within your chosen dietary needs, of course) to create a delicious lunch or light dinner anytime you have a craving.
Ingredients You Need
These are our favorite ingredients to include in our stuffed peppers. However, you certainly can swap or add whatever you like!
- Bell peppers – any color you like
- Cream cheese – softened
- Whole grain mustard – adds a great tanginess to the rich cream cheese
- Deli slices – your choice of turkey, ham and/or roast beef
- Sliced cheese – cheddar, provolone, or swiss
- Veggies – alfalfa sprouts, baby spinach, cucumbers, and pickles
- Bacon – cooked
How to Make Keto Bell Pepper Sandwiches with Cream Cheese
Lay all four bell peppers on their flattest side with the stems out the side, parallel to the cutting board. Cut the bell peppers in half, through the stem. Then remove the stem, seeds, and membranes.
Set out a small bowl. Add the softened cream cheese and whole-grain mustard.
Mix well until smooth.
Then use a spatula to spread the cream cheese mixture inside each bell pepper half.
Stuff 1-2 slices of deli meat inside each pepper half.
Then stuff all the bottom halves with a quarter-cup of sprouts, and all the top halves with a quarter-cup of spinach.
Get the Complete (Printable) Bell Pepper Sandwich with Cream Cheese Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Layer on cucumber slices and bacon.
Then top with slices of cheese and pickles.
Flip the pepper tops over onto the bottoms. Use toothpicks to secure the sandwiches.
Wrap well in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use any color pepper you like to make this recipe! Red, orange, and yellow peppers tend to be sweeter than green bell peppers.
This is definitely a versatile dish! You can swap or sub nearly any ingredient here. Instead of mustard try mixing in different seasonings or chopped herbs. Include your choice of deli meats and cheeses, and use turkey bacon if you prefer. And, my goodness, have at it with the veggies!
A few of our favorite extra add-ins are sliced radish slices, avocado, tomato, prosciutto, onions, pickled okra. Yum!
Feel free to cut out the deli meat and bacon in the recipe. Replace with more veggies, or use your favorite plant-based substitutes for the meat.
They will keep well for up to 5 days or so if kept wrapped and plastic in the refrigerator.
If you happen to buy bell peppers that are especially round, it might help to cut off 1/2 inch of the rounded stem end to flatten the sandwiches a little and keep them from rolling. This also makes them a bit easier to eat.
Looking For More Low Carb Recipes? Be Sure To Also Try These Recipes:
- Keto Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Low Carb Burger Bites
- Keto Thai Larb Rolls
- Low Carb (Keto!) Tortillas
- Sheet Pan Keto Chicken Nachos
Low Carb Bell Pepper Sandwich Recipe
- Lay all four bell peppers on their flattest side with the stems out the side, parallel to the cutting board. Cut the bell peppers in half, through the stem. Remove the stem, seeds, and membranes.
- Set out a small bowl. Mix the softened cream cheese and whole-grain mustard until smooth. Then use a spatula to spread the cream cheese mixture inside each bell pepper half.
- Stuff 1-2 slices of deli meat inside each pepper half. Then stuff all the bottom halves with a quarter-cup of sprouts, and all the top halves with a quarter-cup of spinach.
- Layer on sliced cheese, cooked bacon, cucumber slices, and pickles.
- Flip the pepper tops over onto the bottoms. Use toothpicks to secure the sandwiches. Wrap well in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.