Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños
Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños Recipe – These zesty, melty, spicy stuffed jalapeño peppers are absolutely irresistible. You might want to make a double batch of this loaded jalapeño poppers recipe!
There are party snacks, and then there are party snacks.
Our Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños recipe is a guaranteed knock-out, gold star, slap-tastic, king of the snack table kind of recipe. These are party-starting snacks.
The feverish response fresh peppers, spicy and savory chorizo, and 3 kinds of cheese can conjure up, is truly something to experience.
I highly recommend making an extra-large batch of these bad boys, no matter how many guests you actually have. Even a casual night in with the family will feel like a house party when you serve a big plate of homemade jalapeño poppers!
Our Ultimate Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños Recipe
Remember my basic 3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Pepper recipe from back in the day? Those little peppers are stuffed with herb-seasoned chevre for a perky spring or summer party treat.
Yet these little guys have received a sexy overhaul. Swapping the goat cheese for a combination of cream cheese and smoked cheddar offers an ultra-creamy and flavorful base that’s perfect for piling on crumbled chorizo and queso fresco.
When we say loaded we really mean Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños.
This jalapeño poppers recipe is perfect for enjoying on Cinco de Mayo, and adding a kick of spice throughout the entire patio weather party season!
What Ingredients You Need
As know you, jalapeños can be unpredictable. It’s possible to end up with a batch of mild peppers with almost no heat… Or to happen upon fire-hot peppers that are hard to enjoy.
I suggest making this stuffed jalapeños recipe with a combination of fresh jalapeños and sweet mini bell peppers (as seen in the images) so that everyone at your party can enjoy them, including the kids and weaklings.
Here’s everything you need to make these fiery and flavorful Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños:
- Fresh jalapeños and/or mini bell peppers
- Mexican chorizo
- Cream cheese
- Shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Chopped green onions
How to Make the Best Loaded Stuffed Jalapenos
1. Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F, and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the chorizo until mostly cooked through, breaking apart into small pieces as it cooks. Transfer to a paper towel-lined bowl to drain, and set aside.
2. Next, prep the jalapeños and mini bell peppers by cutting lengthwise and scraping out the seeds with a spoon. Be careful with those jalapeño seeds!
3. In a bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, shredded smoked cheddar cheese, and garlic powder. Into each pepper half, spread 1 tablespoon of the mixture. Press a healthy bit of the cooked crumbled chorizo into the top of each cheese-filled pepper so that it sticks.
4. Bake the loaded stuffed jalapeños for 9-10 minutes, until the filling has melted and the peppers are just slightly soft.
Once done, remove the peppers from oven and immediately top with a bit of the crumbled queso fresco and diced green onion.
Get the Complete (Printable) Loaded Stuffed Jalapenos Recipe Below. Enjoy!
The little pop of fresh green onion on top, along with the spicy sweetness of the roasted peppers and sausage, makes this jalapeño poppers recipe a force to reckon with.
Although Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños are best served warm while the cheese is hot and molten, they also taste great at room temperature, so don’t be afraid to make them for your next neighborhood potluck.
They can be refrigerated and enjoyed within 3 days of making, but be forewarned that reheating the peppers will make them soft. And I recommend leaving off the queso fresco crumbles and green onions until ready to serve.
Are Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños Gluten-Free and/or Keto?
Yes to both! This jalapeño poppers recipe contains no gluten and is low carb.
You can substitute pork chorizo for spicy ground chicken or turkey sausage to make a lighter version with less fat.
How Can I Make Vegetarian Stuffed Jalapeños?
Swap the chorizo with your favorite plant-based ground meat alternative for an easy vegetarian version.
Or, simply omit the sausage entirely and just load the baked peppers with EXTRA queso fresco and green onions.
Looking for More Flavorful Party Snacks?
- Drowned Carnitas Party Sandwiches
- Skinny Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Spicy Cheese Straws
- Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Amazing Queso Blanco Recipe
Loaded Stuffed Jalapeños
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh jalapeños or a combination of jalapeños and mini bell peppers
- 14-16 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened (could be low-fat)
- 2 cups shredded smoked cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 ounces crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Place the chorizo in a skillet over medium heat. Brown the chorizo until mostly cooked, and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Then move the chorizo to a paper towel lined bowl to drain.
- Cut the jalapeños lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the veins and seeds. Set them cut-side-up on the baking sheets. Then mix the cream cheese, smoked cheddar, and garlic powder in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of cheese filling into each jalapeño half. Press crumbled chorizo into the top of the cheese filling. Bake for 9-10 minutes until the filling has melted and the peppers are soft.
- While the jalapeños are still warm, sprinkle the tops with crumbled queso fresco and green onions. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: 20 Tasty Jalapeno Appetizers - Beautiful Life and Home
Excellent recipe that was loved by many!! I did however change from chorizo to crumbled bacon…because….well.. BACON!! I also did not make enough Jalapeños and put more sweet baby bell peppers in the group. While these were still good…the first to go bye bye were jalapeños….and I only lined a few Of those with some seeds at the bottom. Soooo, next time I think I will line all Jalapeños with about 4 or 5 seeds at the bottom before filling. First compliment I received at the pot luck was: “these are a perfect balance of everything”
Excellent recipe that was loved by many!! I did however change from chorizo to crumbled bacon…because….well.. BACON!! I also did not make enough Jalapeños and put more sweet baby bell peppers in the group. While these were still good…the first to go bye bye were jalapeños….and I only lined a few Of those with some seeds at the bottom. Soooo, next time I think I will line all Jalapeños with about 4 or 5 seeds at the bottom before filling. First compliment I received at the pot luck was: these are a perfect balance of everything”
Amazingly good. Made with Jalapenos and mini mild peppers. Big hit! Making a bunch for 4th of July. Easy make ahead appetizers. Couldn’t find shredded smoked cheddar, used extra sharp.
Best stuffed jalapenos ever. Everybody that’s had it ask for the recipe . I make it that much now, and prepare it well in advance and put it in the fridge and take it out a hour before cooking to get it to room temperature.
These were fantastic! I made them as part of a whole Mexican meal on Sunday night. Whole family enjoyed them and so did (on my low carb kick)!
best dinner ever! These are so good! I’ve never thought to load jalapenos, we always do regular peppers, but we’re doing these from now on
These were amazing!! The perfect side app for our Mexican dinner!! We loved it!
We absolutely love these jalapeño peppers! My husband is into spicy food so this instantly became one of his favorites!
I mixed chorizo and ground turkey to lighten it up and it turned out great. Added a pinch of cumin and cayenne too. DELICIOUS!
Made 32 of these and took over to the cricket club for a starter with our pints. Everyone loved them and they were gone 5 minutes. Had to use Wensleydale cheese as we cannot get queso fresco but nobody here would know the difference. Took me 30 minutes to make and really easy. Will definitely make these again.
Absolutely the best stuffed jalapeno peppers! I’ve made them twice in the last 2 weeks from peppers in my garden. The second time, I left a few seeds to add some heat. Everyone who tries them loves them – they are a big hit!
Pingback: 20 Appetizer & Snack Recipes for Your Graduation Party
Very simple and tasty idea. Love it. Looks real funky.
Pingback: 17 Graduation Party Appetizer Recipes Your Celebration Needs
These look fantastic!!
Love these stuffed for a fun party appetizer. Perfect for summer, too! (Fresh from the garden)
Love all the stuffings — but my favorite part is the multi-colored peppers. So fun!
Who can resist these stuffed jalapenos? I wish I had these for a snack right now!
Stuffed Peppers are always good! These look spectacular!
SO many good things stuffed in those peppers. I need!
I always see bags of these peppers and never know what to make with them. Well this takes care of that!
Pass me a few of these tasty fellows!!
I love the addition of Chorizo in these! Such a great idea!
I want to eat these everyday!!
Perfect little boats for filling!
Those stuffed jalapenos look so good!
These poppers – so perfect and delcious!
Totally obsessed with those gorgeous pops of color!!
Those look delicious!
I love that you loaded these up!!
These loaded jalepenos look amazing!! Bring on the spice!
These look delicious. We love spicy food and these little bites seem amazing! Wondering if I should take a little trip to the store for supplies before the 5th.