Light Creamy Chicken Barley Kale Soup, a silky cream soup that is easy on the waistline!
There’s nothing I love better than a silky creamy soup that happens to be diet friendly.
How does one achieve such a thing of beauty?
The short answer is low fat (or fat free) cream cheese. Instead of thickening a “cream based” soup with heavy cream and flour, you can simply stir in low fat cream cheese and let it melt into the soup.
The result is a meal that tastes devilishly delicious, yet doesn’t rack up the fat and calories.
Today’s Light Creamy Chicken Barley Kale Soup is just such a recipe.
I made a simple chicken soup base, simmering whole chicken breasts and barley together in the broth. Then I chopped up the cooked chicken and stirred in cream cheese, low fat of course, and fresh chopped kale.
As if that weren’t enough, this Light Creamy Chicken Barley Kale Soup has a second secret ingredient that makes it taste and smell like pure heaven… Saffron.
Just a small pinch of saffron gives the soup a dazzling color, depth of flavor, and intoxicating aroma. It compliments the kale wonderfully and helps bring all the other ingredients together.
Light Creamy Chicken Barley Kale Soup is a perfect faux splurge for spring. It tastes naughty, without unnecessary guilt!
Looking for More Healthy Soups?
Light Creamy Chicken Barley Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dried pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 pinch saffron (small)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 ounce low-fat cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- Place the olive oil in a large stock pot. Set the pot over medium heat and add the onions. Sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Stir so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Place whole chicken breasts, barley, thyme, saffron, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the pot. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove the chicken breasts with tongs.
- While the soup is simmering, stir in the cream cheese and kale. Chop the chicken breasts and stir the chicken pieces back into the soup. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Other Great Recipes
Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Frosting Next Post
Brown Sugar Baked Salmon and Vegetables