Nothing says gnocchi like… lettuce wraps. Wait, what?! Ok, so a lettuce wrap recipe isn’t exactly what you think of when you plan to make gnocchi, but maybe we need to change that with Shrimp and Gnocchi Lettuce Wraps.
I’m having such fun playing mad scientist in my new kitchen; it makes me think of my oldest brother. Growing up, Kevin was the experimental cook in our family.
While the rest of us learned mom’s recipes to-a-tee, Kevin was whipping up his own creations. As siblings do, we always teased him for this.
His concoctions weren’t the prettiest dishes, so we often refused to try them, but at least he was adventurous. Now that I look back, I bet some of the things he made were pretty darn good.
Over the years I’ve learned that part of what makes cooking fun is taking ingredients that don’t normally go together and creating something new and exciting.
(Sorry it took me so long, Kevin.)
I particularly love doing this with pasta. I mean really, what doesn’t go with pasta? It’s so easy to create delectable dishes with any variety of noodle.
Today I’ve got a lettuce wrap recipe that combines shrimp and Delallo gnocchi!
These perfect little pillows of carby goodness are a lovely surprise wrapped in a crisp lettuce leaf. I quickly sautéed the shrimp, then gave the gnocchi a little sear to provide texture.
Honestly, what could be better than little balls of potato dough, crispy on the outside, but soft and moist in the middle?
Shrimp and Gnocchi Lettuce Wraps are like putting tiny Asian dumplings inside the lettuce wraps.
These crispy little potato dumplings are a beautiful pairing with the garlicky shrimp, smothered in spicy serrano mint sauce. It gives the lettuce wrap so much contrast.
Cool. Crisp. Herby. Spicy. Moist. Tender. Mmmmmm.
The addition of gnocchi in this lettuce wrap recipe makes it so much more than an appetizer. Shrimp and Gnocchi Lettuce Wraps could be dinner, appetizers, or lunch.
Maybe even breakfast….
Shrimp and Gnocchi Lettuce Wraps
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
For the Spicy Mint Sauce:
- 2 bunches of fresh mint, leaves removed
- 1 serrano chile, seeded
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
For the Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 pound raw shrimp, patted dry
- 1 pound Delallo Potato Gnocchi
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves removed
- Cilantro Leaves for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the gnocchi according to the DeLallo package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the spicy mint sauce in the food processor (or small blender) and puree until smooth.
- Heat a large skillet to high heat. Add both oils. Once the oil is smoking, add the shrimp. Salt and Pepper to taste and add the garlic on top of the shrimp. Sautee for 2 minutes per side, or until pink, then remove from the skillet.
- Add the cooked gnocchi to the remaining oil in the skillet. Pan fry the gnocchi for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the gnocchi are golden brown, but still soft, add the shrimp back to the skillet and toss.
- To serve, scoop some of the shrimp-gnocchi mixture onto a lettuce leaf. Drizzle the spicy mint sauce over the top, fold like a taco and enjoy!
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!